☆ Chapter 17 ☆

I think at some point in everyone's life there is a moment when you realize that you are a horrendous, selfish person.

Or maybe that was just me.

The truth is, I had to split Danny and me up before something irreversible happened to our hearts. More importantly, his heart. He was too precious a soul to be broken again. I, on the other hand, was the one who broke souls.

It's not like I was just realizing that I was a bad person. No, I had realized this years ago, before I'd even entered high school. Back when I had first began to have my little "moods." Before I had even realized what was happening with me and how it affected everyone in my life.

It was just me and Whitney back then. Before Jason, after Tanden had already moved out of our parent's house for college. My mom was going through school again so she could move up in her job; my dad was working around the clock to pay for her classes. I would spend days, even weeks at Whitney's and they wouldn't even notice that I was missing.

Maybe that's when I first began to break.

I vaguely remember the first episode happening during school. I had fallen asleep during algebra and poor, innocent Miss Calbourne decided to wake me up. Suddenly, I snapped, throwing my pencil bag at her and storming out of the class. Whitney followed me, only to be yelled at for no real reason.

This was also when I realized that Whitney was a true friend. She stuck by me; she didn't leave or break even as I blamed all of my troubles on her. When I was done, she pulled me to her and comforted my tears. She even came up with a code to signal these chaotic days of mine- "ship overboard."

"I'll always be here for you." Whitney said. "When you're depressed, or angry, or feel like punching someone, you can punch me." Somehow, she'd managed to keep her promises.

But it only got worse. Throughout high school, I slowly began to build up a reputation for being a crazy girl with a short fuse. In all honesty, that was probably the only way to describe me. I broke hearts, split up relationships, crushed reputations. I didn't even mean it- I only wanted to be happy and most days, I was. But on my off days, I was prone to do anything.

In the end, I didn't even finish high school. I moved in with Tanden and, along the way, managed to meet Danny and Paul.

Which brings me back to my moment of realization. As Danny treated me to the best after-kiss makeup-date in the history of all after-kiss makeup-dates, I decided that I had to break his heart. Otherwise, we'd both end up in shattered pieces on the ground.

But I also knew that I could never break away from him. After the short amount of time I had known Danny, I had already fallen in love with him, moreso than any of his predecessors. I couldn't leave him without becoming a shell of what I was.

And that made me a selfish, selfish human being. After all, if I didn't break ties with him soon, I wasn't sure who could make it out alive.

☆  ☆  ☆

(a/n) Unedited, unread, un-amazing, goodbye *drops mic*

~Stay amazing~

xoxo, InsomniaWriting