Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

After shaking countless hands on the receiving line, Lila and Steven along with their bridal party and family headed back into the church for pictures. Jamie's face was set in stone, his leg throbbing and cramped. "Eddie..." he said as they turned to go back inside. "I need Joe...or Danny...It's not going to hold."

Eddie automatically locked her arm, "Joe! Danny!" She didn't want Jamie to take a face plant in the aisle of the church. She knew how badly he wanted to dance with their daughter,

Danny and Joey both hurried over to Eddie, "He says his leg is going out, can you help him into the pew and get it elevated? This happens when he over does it." Eddie sighed, she didn't want this for Jamie today or for Lila but pain was written all over Jamie's face. Danny helped Jamie to the pew while Joey scouted some pillows from the back seat of the truck and produced a tube of muscle cream.

Lila saw the small crowd forming around her father and broke away from the bridal party pictures to check on him. "Mom, is Dad okay?"

"His leg was going numb and he's having a bad cramp," Eddie replied. "Don't worry honey, he needs a little rest and then he will feel better again. Can you ask Father Conti for a pair of folding chairs? Dad and I can sit for the pictures so he can keep the weight off his leg for now."

Lila nodded but turned to Jamie first kneeling at his side, disregarding her dress, "Daddy, if you can't dance with me, then I can sit by you and hold your hand when the song plays, okay? Please don't push yourself or cause yourself pain for me, okay?"

Jamie was working hard to control his breathing, "Don't you worry, Kitten. This is your day, I just need to rest a little that's all. My leg is healing and getting better, and that's why it hurts. You go smile pretty for the camera and in a few minutes, I'll be good as new."

Lila kissed his cheek and went back to the alter for the rest of her pictures.

Joey rolled up Jamie's pant leg, "Oh, I see it. Take a breath, Dad." Joey started to rub the cream into Jamie's leg with a lot of pressure in his hands. "I think it's on the nerve and that's why it's going numb on you. Try to do some breathing, I'm going to let my hand hang out here and try to break up the knot."

Eddie sat by Jamie's head and stroked his hair, "Jamie, did you bring your chair?"

"No, I'm not using the chair, I'm going to be fine," Jamie said firmly. "The chair is home. I don't want this wedding to be about my stroke. Joe, press harder, get the knot out so I can stand next to your sister."

"Dad," Joe said a little breathless from the energy he was exerting trying to force the leg cramp to give. "You aren't even supposed to be able to walk. Lila will not care if you need your chair, you did the most important part to her."

Jamie looked at Joe, his face with the same stubborn look all the Reagan men shared. "No, not today! It's releasing, when it goes, we stretch then take those pictures. Lila will have this memory forever, maybe, just maybe the memory of the last ten months will fade."

Eddie continued to hold Jamie's hand while Danny supported his back. "What's going on in here?" Frank asked as he came inside from where he'd been hobnobbing with his old cronies from the police department, the few that were still living, Gerritt Moore, Sid Gormley, and Abigail Baker to name a few.

"I'm good, leg was just giving me fits," Jamie replied. "It's good, Joe. Help me up so I can walk it off."

Danny helped Jamie stand up and Joe held his weaker arm while Jamie took a few steps. "Yeah, it's better."

Danny glanced at Eddie, they could both read Jamie like a book, they both knew he was too tired to keep pushing himself and they both knew he would anyway.