Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty – Three

"Thanks for meeting me," Lila said hugging Steven as tight as she could. She's been crying, her eyes hurt and felt like sand.

"Sure, you sounded so upset on the phone." Steven held Lila and rocked. "Come on, let's get you a tea and we'll talk it out."

Steven bought Lila tea and sat down. "What happened?"

"My brother and I had a huge blow out, my mother is so upset she ran upstairs, my father had a terrible muscle spasm, and my aunt can't help me with the wedding," Lila cried. "How did this happen?"

Steven held her hands, "There is a lot of stress in your house now and Lil, your mother and aunt, they never got along. They would be civil but they weren't the best of friends for years, baby."

Lila sighed, "So I can't have my godmother help me with my wedding. I don't want to exclude my mom, I don't, but..."

"Then why are you?" Steven asked. "We had a hall picked honey. You told me this started looking at a hall. It does seem to me that there was no reason to be looking at something else."

Lila sighed, "How do I fix it and not hurt anyone?" She looked at Steven her eyes bright red. "My aunt and I have higher end taste. My mom always liked stuff simple. I think it was the cop in her, just liked things functional. That's what my dad loved so much, she was so practical. I always liked things to be frilly and pretty and over the top. Even my tutus as a little girl I did that. Aunt Erin has my taste."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Steven soothed. "There is nothing wrong with that at all. I think the stress your mom is under with your dad and her own health being questionable for a bit there really did a number on her. I think you need to just give her some slack. Did you ask her about why she feels this way? That might help."

Lila sighed, "No, no I never did. My father told me a little about it but...I never talked to Mom about it. I thought it was silly for her to be jealous of me and Aunt Erin. I love Aunt Erin but she's my mom. Maybe...I have to go..."

Steven stood up and held her tight. "Just talk to her. You don't have to like what she says. You don't even have to agree, but you can't judge her until you listen to her."

Lila slid her arms up and gave Steven a kiss. "I love you. You helped me so much. I am going to go home and talk to my mom and dad. And you're right, we did have a good hall for the wedding. I'll ask Dad for the check to put a deposit on Above. We can do that this weekend."

Steven kissed her softly, "I love that idea. You want me to drive you?"

Lila agreed instead of taking the subway and got into Steven's car. Joey was outside on the porch when they pulled up. "He's still so mad at me."

"I'll stick around until you go inside, if he starts up I'll get out of the car, okay, love?" Steven gave her another kiss. He hated she was so hurt and upset. Their wedding was supposed to be so special and now it was causing such discord in her family. He just wanted to marry Lila, he did't care where or how. If this kept up City Hall sounded appealing.

Lila walked up the steps. Joey looked at her the back at his drink. Joey rarely drank hard liquor. "How is it going in there?"

"Sean gave Dad a shot for the pain, he's asleep now." Joey replied. "Mom's still upstairs. She came down for a little while to help Dad but went back up to their old room. Everyone else left. Grandpa is sitting with Dad, even with the shot he was still moaning a little but I think the spasms subsided for now."

"I'm going to check on Mom," Lila replied. "Joey, look...I'm sorry for everything I said."

Joey held up his hand, "Don't have to say anything, Sis. We have Reagan tempers, we both lost them. I am sorry that I did. But, we aren't the ones that need to hear it. Go tell our mother who is crying her eyes out and our father who is forced to let he because he can't get up the steps."