Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Eddie pushed Jamie's chair into Dr. Brady's office that Wednesday with him offering minimal help pushing the wheels. If she didn't keep him centered the strength in his right arm would cause the chair to go in circles. He'd been very tired that Monday and Tuesday, and had cancelled his PT to remain in bed and rest with Eddie's blessing. He'd spiked another fever Monday night but woke with a temperature below normal the next morning as was usual.

Jamie insisted that he come to the appointment with Eddie. He was getting increasingly concerned about her arm. The first weeks he was home it would swell then go back down, but the last few weeks it had remained ballooned to the point where using her watch or her wedding ring was impossible. Jamie knew that more than anything hurt her heart.

Eddie signed in and sat down with Jamie. He reached over and took her hand in his kissing it. "Here, use my wheelchair pillow and put arm up. He's going to say you aren't elevating it enough."

Eddie sighed, "How am I supposed to do that Jamie? I have to run a house, take care of you and your dad, I can't just lie around with my arm on a pillow all day. Even with Joey and Danny helping out more now it's not getting better!"

Jamie stroked her hair, "I know it's not. I know it hurts, I'm sorry. I am trying Eddie."

"I know you are," Eddie replied. "This isn't your fault. I don't mean to make it sound like it is either."

"You haven't," Jamie assured her. "You are doing so much for me and for Dad. I will do better for you. Even if that means a facility..."

"No, I need you beside me. If you never left the bed again it would be all right with me as long as you were beside me." Eddie kissed his hand and then felt his fingers softly stroking the swollen skin.

"Used to I'd be able to make all of this fluid reabsorb with a few good massages and wrapping your arm, letting it rest. Now..." He sighed. "We do whatever he says, you hear?"

Eddie agreed and waited her turn quietly.

When she was finally called back, she pushed Jamie's chair until he was in the exam room seated next to the table.

Eddie had gained five pounds since the last time she got weighed. "Don't worry, Angel. Most of that is probably muscle from hauling me around or all that fluid."

Eddie sighed, "Or the tamoxifen Dr. McLean put me on again. If that's it I'm going to balloon up again so be ready."

"Eddie, no matter what you are beautiful to me," Jamie said softly. "So beautiful."

Jamie had really been missing his wife. He wanted to feel her again. Her lips on his, his hands on her back...they had a healthy sex life and the stroke had basically derailed it. He was lost in thought when Dr. Brady finally came in.

"Eddie, it has been a while..." he said reading her chart before looking. "Oh my Heavens. Look at this."

Gently he unwrapped her bandages and examined the engorged flesh. "Is this tender?"

Eddie winced in response. "It has been the last week or two since the swelling isn't going down and it's a little warm too, but I think it's the stocking."

"Doctor, I know this is from her overexerting herself with me, I know that. I have tried all I can think to try. I'm so concerned that she will get another bout of cellulitis, that she might lose her arm..."

"Jamie, we are not there at all," Dr. Brady assured him. "Honestly we aren't. But we are to a point where compression and elevation won't work alone either. The blockage is severe and I am concerned that we won't be able to clear it without surgery, however there are a few treatments to try before we get to that point."