Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Eddie was still shaken when they arrived and parked at the hospital. Joey tried to hold her arm and lead her inside, but she refused to let him touch her. Jamie had just been given his lunch and Erin was there giving him a bath. "Erin, I want to do this myself," Jamie told her even though he was wiped out from a hardcore therapy session. "It's upsetting Eddie that you are doing this for me and I don't want her upset right now."

"Jamie, you aren't well," Erin sighed. "You need to get your strength back and you won't getting so tired."

Jamie reached up and stilled the rag, "Erin, she feels like she isn't good enough. Not for me, not for Lila...She is my wife and she is Lila's mother and she is damn sure good enough to get me through this. I want it to stop, this little war between you, it is done now." Jamie's tone was firm, Erin knew he meant business.

"What war?" Erin asked pulling on the wash rag and continuing to clean up Jamie's face. "You are getting stubbly. After this I'll get a razor and..."

"Erin, I have a nurses to do that," Jamie said. "Listen to me, you might not feel the tension, but Eddie does. Did you really promise Lila a Kleinfeld gown?"

"I didn't promise," Erin protested. "I just told her I had a friend there. That I'd take her and..."

"Eddie heard you," Jamie replied. "She heard you and you didn't even include her, the mother of the bride, in your decision."

"That's never been up her ally, she's always been the tomboy, she'd rather play ball than cook and..."

"Stop trying to defend it. Nikki eloped, you are trying to make up for it, and that's fine. You want to help, great. I'd love that, but Eddie is Lila's mother, this is their special moment." Jamie softened his voice. "You had that with Mom, those times and Eddie never did with her mom, he mom was gone before...I want her to have it with Lila. If you can't do it for Eddie, do it for me. That will help me get well more than wiping my face or cutting my meat."

"Jamie, I didn't mean to overstep. Eddie and I are fine, we never were really close but..." Before Erin could finish the hospital door opened and Joey popped his head in. "Dad...we're here are you ready for her?" he asked.

"Yeah, I am finished here..." Jamie looked at Erin. She was upset but he had to focus on his wife. When he saw her face his heart dropped, "Oh baby..." He reached out with his good arm for Eddie to collapse into his chest. She was slow and hesitant to come to him. "It's okay angel," he whispered when she reached the bed. "It's okay, we'll get through it. It's okay." Jamie closed his good arm around Eddie and started to gently stroke her trying to soothe her.

Eddie was crying too hard to speak to Jamie so he looked at Joey for answers. "It's my fault, Dad. I yelled at her and she just go all upset. They wanted her on pills until they know more and Mom said no...I got really angry and I yelled at her. I'm sorry I hurt her feelings but this might be her life..." Joey felt like a child again as he waited for his father to scold him.

"It's all right, she's just scared. Thank you for stepping up..." Jamie smiled at Joey then gave Eddie his full attention once again. "So it's not back?"

She sniffled, "Maybe, he wants me to take pills, the chemo pills, until we know incase. I don't want to do that again..."

"I know, but is only the pill and it's only for a little bit." Jamie kissed her hair and held her tight. He knew this was way more than a silly pill but for now he'd let her cry herself out. Then and only then would really get to the bottom of it.

Jamie rubbed Eddie's back fighting the fatigue that was mounting and threatening to send him to sleep. His wife needed his full attention now. After a few more minutes of sobbing into his chest, Eddie's body stilled. Jamie peered down at her from his position in the bed, she'd cried herself to sleep. Jamie looked up to see Joey still hovering in the doorway.