Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Erin, Eddie and Lila walked into the bridal salon for their 10 am appointment. The two older woman had yet to make piece, in fact the Sunday dinner that had just passed served to make things even more intense. Still, that night, Jamie had made some requests of her that she could not deny him.

When Jamie made his announcement about discontinuing his physical therapy, at least as it pertained to walking again, Erin had what Eddie felt was a smug look on her face. "It's not like she won something," Eddie complained later. "You are tired and you feel like you did your best and you did." Eddie rubbed the moisturizing cream into her legs. "If and when you want to try again, I'm behind you, Jamie. I don't..."

"Ssh," Jamie soothed and grabbed her wrist. "Honey, let it go. I need to let go of the notion that I am going to walk again and you, for me, need to let this thing with Erin go. I know she hurt you and I know her Reagan traits make her appear smug and snobbish sometimes, but she's my sister and you are my wife. I need this to be finished. I will always have your back and when the chips are down I'm on your side, believe that."

"I do," Eddie sighed. "I won't argue with her anymore, I didn't argue with her tonight, but I did let it get to me." Eddie crawled into bed and settled the covers around them.

"Eddie, listen to me, baby," Jamie said softly. "Lila talked to me after dinner. She really wanted me to walk her down the aisle, she really was disappointed but she understands. Still, she asked me to talk to you about it. She wants you and Erin to go dress shopping with her on Tuesday, she really wants you two on board together. So, I am asking you Eddie, please do this...for her and for me."

So here they sat, she and Erin side by side on plush pink couch while Lila put on the first of three gowns, one picked by Erin, one picked by Eddie, and one picked by Lila herself. "So," Erin began trying to break the ice. "How do you feel about Jamie's decision? I know it's got to be hard."

"It's hard to see him quit, but he's right. His body is beaten up, he's tired and ultimately I think this is better for him. I think part of me always did but it had to be his choice," Eddie replied. "I'm glad he's able to self-transfer, that was the roughest part for me and he felt bad because my arm was swelling. Now that's not an issue. I'm proud of what he's done."

Erin smiled, "So am I. I...uh..." She began the stopped when Lila came out in her own pick, a stunning satin ball gown with a V-neck and beading all over the top. It sported a cream colored beaded belt and a tiny cap sleeve. "Oh, Lila, you look beautiful!" Eddie gasped. "What do you think?

Lila spun around on the podium, "I think I want to see the other two. I don't feel anything in this one."

Erin nodded, "Then it isn't the one. Your Mom cried the minute she put her wedding dress on. You'll know when it's right."

Lila headed back into the dressing room with her consultant. "That dress isn't her," Eddie commented. "And for your information, I did not cry the minute I put on my dress. I didn't cry until they put on the veil."

Erin laughed, "You were a pretty bride, Eddie. Any my brother....I don't think I have ever seen him happier than he was that day waiting for you to walk down the aisle."

"Erin, we are both way beyond having to pretend that you were happy with Jamie's decisions to marry me. I heard everything you said to him that night, and maybe it was wrong of me to hold all that in for almost 30 years but Jamie had his choice, his happiness is what mattered to me."

"It's what mattered to me, too," Erin replied. "Even though Jamie denied it, I knew it was his dream to be in the PC chair. When our mother died, I promised her I'd take care of her Jamie, her baby. I was concerned he wasn't thinking beyond that one moment in time. I got married not thinking..."