Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"He smelled bad," Annie laughed as she and Joey returned to the precinct after their tour. "It's not my fault. I have a sensitive stomach."

"My mother used to throw up after they had some really bad perps," Joey laughed. "And she was a fabulous cop."

"I envy your Mom though, being able to take time off and be home with you and your sister. I wish I was able..."

Joey cupped her shoulder, "I know you wish that, I wish it too. But hey, if you were home with the kiddos you wouldn't be my partner." Joey headed to the locker room but called over his shoulder, "Beers?"

"Yeah, I can do a beer. See you in 20," Annie replied and headed to her own locker room.

While Joey changed, his Sergeant came up to him. "Reagan, how's your mother?"

"My Mom is fine, why?" Joey replied. "It's my Dad that's been sick."

"A unit out of the 2-7 responded to a 911 call from your neighbors. Apparently, your mom was attempting to extricate your aunt from the premises rather vocally and they called the PD thinking it was an intruder," the Sergeant explained. "The officers did say your dad was in pretty rough shape so maybe you want to..."

Joey was already searching for Annie. "Ann, can I get a rain check? Something came up at my folks place and I have to check on my mom."

"Sure, you need some back up?" Annie asked him concerned for him. He was taking on a lot of family responsibility.

"No, but I'll come over later, okay?" Joey asked. He had a feeling after dealing with his folks he's need a dose of Annie.

Annie nodded, "Give them my best, okay?"

Joey nodded and drove off toward his family's home in Brooklyn.

"Eddie," Jamie sighed trying to get to talk to him. "Eddie, please..." She finally got off the floor an hour ago and had retreated to their bed in the study. She hadn't spoken a word since ordering Erin out of the house but remarkably was still in tears.

"Jamie, let her be for a while," Frank advised. "Just let her be for a bit." Frank eased Jamie's chair to the table. "Have some tea and bread and just let Eddie have her time. You can fix it in a little bit."

Frank poured two cups of Irish tea and handed Jamie a slice of cinnamon bread. "What was that?" Frank asked. "Do you even know?"

"Eddie has had this thing with Erin since our wedding day," Jamie sighed. "She overheard Erin telling me not to marry her. That's not really what she said but it is what Eddie heard. She was just making sure that I knew what I was getting into. I loved her so much I knew but Erin was trying to look out for me."

Frank sighed, "She overstepped then, trying to look out for you in the absence of your Mom. But Danny and I had that covered. So it hurt Eddie and she held onto that for 30 years?"

Before Jamie could answer Joey rushed in the door way, "Where is she?" he asked looking for Eddie. 'Where is my mother?"

"Joey," Jamie said in a hushed tone. "She might have gone to sleep, she went into the bed."

Joey turned around angry, "You had the damn police here tonight, and you don't call me and tell me that Aunt Erin was here and upset my mother to the point she was screaming and crying. Your wife by the way. Remember you said I do and promised to..."

"Joseph Patrick!" Frank said firmly. "If are here to check on your mom go see her, if you are here to pick on your Dad keep walking."

Joey turned on his heel and went to his parents' makeshift bedroom, "Mom?" He could hear Eddie still crying. "Oh Mom..." Joey kicked off his shoes and laid on the bed with her like he did as a little boy. "It's all right Mom. It's all right."