Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Just five more minutes, Eddie," Jamie encouraged two weeks later. She had been doing her pumps religiously in spite of how much they hurt. The last three cycles had really been painful, so Jamie had taken to sitting next to Eddie and holding her hand while she did the machine.

"I know," Eddie replied. "Thanks honey."

Their relationship had changed after Jamie talked to her. She had tried very hard to include him in anything and everything, still the urge to protect him and help him overwhelmed her. He was recovering use of his arm able to use it to help move himself in and of his wheelchair and to give Eddie hugs, but his leg was still almost useless. He was able to force it a few inches but he was rapidly losing faith that he would ever walk again.

When the machine stopped, Eddie disconnected the sleeve and sighed. Jamie took her arm in his and started to gently rub the skin. "Still really tender?"

"Not as bad and the swelling is going down," Eddie smiled. "I think Dr. Brady will say there's progress when we go back in two weeks."

Jamie kissed her hand, "You know the day I can slide your ring back on your finger that will rank among the happiest days of my life. The day we met, the day we married, the day each of our children came, and the day you were pronounced clear..." Jamie kissed her hand again.

"You want some lunch?" Eddie asked. "I'm hungry. You have your swallow study tomorrow, remember our deal if you pass it."

"You bet a nice hearty helping of your goulash for Wednesday dinner. For now, yeah, I'd love some lunch. Roger is coming at 2 to try to do something with this useless leg." Jamie's shoulders slumped as he said this. He was very frustrated that he was not making progress with his leg.

Eddie rubbed his back, "You are doing so well. You worked hard on your arm and you have about half use. You are even able to push your chair yourself short distances. That is great. You are holding posture, you are doing so much!"

Jamie appreciate Eddie's encouragement but it did little to help him feel confident. Lila's wedding was less than eight months away. At this rate he'd have to be pushed down the aisle if he wanted to give his daughter away.

Eddie made chicken salad for lunch. "Dad, I made lunch if you want to come down," Eddie called. She soon heard Frank moving.

"Your chicken salad is excellent," Frank told her as they ate. Eddie pulled out a notebook containing Lila's guest list. "So, right now this list has 78 people from our side and 122 from Steven's. We know we have political invites so Lila wants you two to put your heads together and pick about 50 people. Jamie put a cap on the guest list at 250 so..."

Jamie took a bite of his lunch, "Yeah cause the place we picked is $175 a head for the menu we picked. Still, it's going to be beautiful. Eddie is really pulling out her best with this wedding and she admitted, Pop that Erin has had some great ideas on the florals."

Frank smiled at that. It hurt that his family was at odds with each other. "I'm glad you are finding a way to work together for Lila's sake." He sighed and took a deep breath.

"Pop?" Jamie looked at Frank. "You okay? Eddie..."

She stood up, "Frank you feeling tight? Let's step out for some air okay?" The weather had been changing lately. That was a sure fire signal Frank's COPD would become a bother. Eddie held the older man's arm and lead him to the porch. "Try to get air in if you can, I'm going to get your inhaler from the kitchen."

Eddie saw the look of defeat written on Jamie's face, Frank's last flare up was before his stroke. He usually tended to his father's needs if he was home, payback he said for nursing him through upper respiratory infections and ear tubes when he was a boy. Now he wasn't able to help, damn leg.