Chapter XXV: Worry Over an Old Man

Istal loped into the campsite, as the fire continued casting shadows around the edges. I dismounted quickly before untacking Istal who shook himself and wandered towards the other horses – Tornac, Cadoc, and Snowfire. I looked over to where Murtagh is standing, next to Eragon funnily enough. I yawned, rubbing my eyes and wandered over to the two who were standing above Brom. It would be dawn in a few hours, and I hadn't gotten any sleep – the same went for Murtagh. Murtagh, who knew what he was doing with first aid unlike myself, had stayed at the camp and kept watch, while I had gone to do a check of the surroundings.

"Anything?" Murtagh called out, looking as exhausted as I was. I shook my head with a tired grin, "Good, we're safe."

"I'm not sure for how long," I replied before greeting Eragon. "I don't suppose you've helped Brom out?"

"I think I've managed to heal on the surface, I don't know enough to fix up whatever's damaged on the inside," Eragon told me, swaying on the spot.

"Murtagh, I don't suppose you can get the soup out? We're all about to keel over here, some warm food will do us well." I said.

Murtagh nodded and starting fixing a meal for the three of us. "Feeling alright Eragon?" I asked, and Eragon nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I suppose. Tired, dizzy, but I'm alive. And sore, can't forget that." I hummed in agreement.

"You've managed to get a wonderful bruise on your side," I told him helpfully, "You're lucky to not be coughing up blood."

"Who's he?" Eragon asked after a few seconds of silent, his voice low.

"Not sure, saw him earlier, he says he's an enemy to the Ra'zac and I needed the help, I haven't had a reason to doubt him yet."

"He has items of wealth but he doesn't seem wealthy."

I shrugged helplessly in reply. "A mystery," I murmured before taking a bowl from Murtagh and thanking him.

The three of us quickly ate, gulping down the hot broth with a frenzy that made us look energetic. "How long has it been since the Ra'zac fled?" Eragon finally asked when he finished.

"A few hours," Murtagh said softly.

"We need to move before they return with reinforcements."

"There isn't anyone approaching us from a kilometre or so out," I said helpfully.

"They can move quickly," Eragon countered.

"Either way, you may be able to travel but the old man can't. You don't get up and move after being stabbed between the ribs." Murtagh replied.

Eragon fell quiet for a few seconds, a glaze covering his eyes as he spoke to Saphira. After a minute he spoke up, "Saphira can carry him, but we need a litter. Can you both make one? I don't have the strength."

I sighed and drew my sword, "Yeah, yeah."

"Just wait here," Murtagh finished. "You see any ones that might be good earlier?" I shook my head silently, "I saw some earlier, we can use those ones then. Come on." 

We returned to camp with a sapling each and made a litter. Murtagh carefully tied Brom to the makeshift litter afterwards and Saphira grabbed it before taking off.

"I never thought I would see a sight like that," Murtagh said, his voice tinged with grief, fear and stunned awe. I frowned in thought, I could understand the stunned awe and the fear to a small degree, but why did Murtagh sound sad?