Chapter VI: Blue Fire (Unedited)

I dismounted Istal and walked over to the trampled ground and looked at the tracks carefully. "There were horses that passed this way, along with something else." I announced.

"The Ra'zac would've been those on horseback. This is Urgal work, you can tell by the spear it is their make. A company of them obviously came through here," Brom said as he dismounted and joined me in looking at the tracks. "Possibly as many as a hundred, which is quite odd. I know only few instances when they have gathered in such large numbers."

I jumped into a standing position, "They're still here!!" I called out as I mounted Istal, Brom only seconds behind me.

"Ride," Brom hissed as he kicked Snowfire forward. Cadoc was next to leave with Eragon spurring him on after Snowfire.

Istal wouldn't go after them despite the amount of times I kicked him. I dismounted and tried to lead him however he wouldn't move. I mounted once again and whirled him around decided to take another path.

Istal cantered off quickly, I knew this meant that there was danger were Eragon and Brom had gone. A large yelp made me yank Istal around a corner to where there were four Urgals, Brom, and Eragon. I gripped my sword in my right hand and forced Istal to charge at one of the Urgals.

I yelled loudly and caught two of the Urgals attention. Without hesitating, I lifted my sword and pulled Istal to a halt. Istal reared and pawed the air in front of him before kicking at the Urgal. Istal leapt forward, which allowed me to swipe an attack at the same Urgal he had just kicked.

Eragon took off running with one Urgal following him. I cursed and got Istal to kick out before rearing and spinning in a circle so I could see all the Urgals. I took a deep breath and Istal charged at one of the Urgals, I leaned forward and sliced at him with my sword, while the Urgal tried to slice at me with his axe.

I leant back as the axe missed my midsection by mere luck. While the Urgal prepared for another cut, I whirled my sword towards his neck. The Urgal pulled its large shield up to stop my blow, I instantly pulled back and came from the other side. The Urgal bellowed as I gave it a deep cut in its side.

The axe was heaved back and sliced at my leg, I gritted my teeth but didn't let the pain get to me as I turned Istal away from the fight. I turned just in time to see Snowfire rear and whinny with Brom slumped over with blood streaming from his arm.

Eragon yellowed and charged at the Urgal, I looked at the other two Urgals and cursed. I got Istal to canter over to Brom and I grabbed his sword. "Eragon, take the other two, I've got these ones!" I shouted as I held a sword in each hand.

I had tied Istal's reins so they weren't in the way and using my legs and voice I got Istal to charge at the two remaining Urgals. With a sword in each hand, I swiped low before asking Istal to rear and kick at one while I traded blows with the other. I continued using this motion for a while, before the Urgals changed attacking pattern and ganged up on me.

I got Istal to kick out and retreat towards an alleyway. I slipped my sword in its sheath and used my leg to hold the other sword by squeezing it to the side of my saddle.

I pulled my bow out and sent three arrows at each Urgal, just aiming to hit not aiming to kill. The Urgals both bellowed and charged I quickly changed back to swords and sent to low cuts at the Urgals before managing to give one a large cut in the neck.

Istal once again took off cantering, the two Urgals easily keeping pace behind me. A large blue fire bellowed out of an alleyway in front of me. Istal reared and bucked which caused me to fall. Istal raced off and I picked up my swords and leant against a building wall.