Chapter XXII: On The Road Again

When I entered the clearing, the first thing I saw was Saphira's hide. I gently reached out with my mind and touched Saphira's mind. Welcome back Saphira, is Eragon up?

Yes, he is speaking to Brom currently. He just apologised, Saphira told me, shifting so I could get to the middle of the camp.

I thanked her and made it to the campfire where Eragon was talking to Brom. "The Urgals already knew about me. They had orders to capture me," I heard Eragon said as I reached Brom and Eragon.

"No, it's not as bad as I thought. It's worse! Saphira told me you had talked with the Urgals, but she didn't mention this." Brom said, ticking his unlit pipe in his mouth. Brom suddenly seemed to spew words as he described his confrontation with the Urgals. "So they have some sort of leader now, eh?" Brom questioned.

Eragon nodded. "And you defied his wishes, insulted him, and attacked his men?" Brom said with a shake of his head. "I didn't think it could get any worse. If the Urgals had been killed, your rudeness would have gone unnoticed, but now it'll be impossible to ignore. Congratulations, you just made enemies with one of the most powerful begings in Alagaësia."

"All right, I made a mistake," Eragon admitted sullenly.

"Yes, you did," Brom agreed. "What has me worried, though, is who this Urgal leader is."

"What happens now?" Eragon said with a shiver.

"Your arm is going to take at least a coupele of weeks to heal." Brom said after a few minutes of silence, "That time would be well spent forging some sense into you. I suppose this is partially my fault. I've been teaching you how to do things, but not whether you should. It takes discreation, something you obviously lack. All the magic in Alagaësia won't help you if you don't know when to use it."

"But we're still going to Dras-Leona, right?" Eragon asked.

Brom rolled his eyes. "Yes, we can keep looking for the Ra'zac, but even if we find them, it won't do any good until you've healed." He began to unsaddling Saphira. "Are you well enough to ride?"

"I think so." Eragon murmured.

"Good, you ready to ride Umaroth?" Brom asked, turning to me. "Then we can still cover a few miles today."

"Where are the horses?" Eragon asked, I pointed off to the side.

"I picketed Cadoc and Snowfire where there was more grass and close to the stream earlier." I said, letting out a short whistle to call Istal over. Istal nickered and trotted over, and I quickly sadddled him.

As we rode, Brom dilled Eragon and I with different scenarios and what we would do. Eragon's involved Urgals, magic, and Saphira with sometimes a Shade or other dragons included. Mine were normally what I would do in a battle surrounded, or if Eragon was elsewhere and Saphira needed help. Whenever I did one I always tried to think what could happen, I found them interesting despite the fact I got most of them wrong. After an hour or two I started getting quite frustrated with them, however, I was getting more right than Eragon. I decided I was lucky that I couldn't use magic.

When we stopped for the night Brom grumbled something, sounding disappointed and after a short, cold dinner, we slept.

* * *

The next day was easier on everyone. I could tell Eragon was feeling better and I was less sore. After one of Eragon's more difficult exercises, Eragon mentioned that he scryed a woman whom he had never seen before, besides in dreams.