Chapter XVII: Entering a Castle on Lies (Unedited)

I woke up to Eragon spilling a cup of water on my face. "Again?" I questioned, waking up with a groan.

"Hurry up," Eragon said. I looked out the window to see the last of red and orange beams of light in the sky fading to darkness. I quickly grabbed my bow and quiver, slinging it over my back once more. I entered the hallway with Eragon, Brom was quick to join us with his sword and a staff.

Jeod, dressed in a black doublet and hose, was waiting for them outside. From his waist swung an elegant rapier and a leather pouch. Brom eyed the rapier and observed, "That toad sticker is too thin for real fighting. What will you do if someone comes after you with a broadsword or a flamberge?"

"Be realistic," Jeod chastised. "None of the guards has a flamberge. Besides, this toad sticker is faster than a broadsword."

Brom shrugged. "It's your neck."

They walked casually along the street, avoiding watchmen and soldiers. I was could feel myself growing tenser with each step, my heart was pounding so loudly I was sure that everyone could hear it. As we passed Angel's shop, a flash of movement in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I looked up and spotted movement on the roof, I blinked before looking again but this time saw no one.

Brom led us along Teirm's outer wall. By the time they reached the castle, the sky was black. The sealed walls of the fortress made me shiver. I would hate to be imprisoned there. Jeod silently took the lead and strode up to the gates, trying to look at ease. He pounded on the gate and waited.

A small grille slid open and a surly guard peered out. "Ya?" He grunted.

"We need to get in," Jeod said. I scrunched my nose up as I smelt the rum on the guard's breath.

"Wha' for?" The guard questioned, peering at Jeod.

"The boy here left something very valuable in my office. We have to retrieve it immediately," Jeod told the guard. At these words Eragon hung his head, shamefaced.

"Why is the othe' one 'ere?" The guard questioned with a frowned.

"Do you think I trust the younger one to stay alone at home? I'm no idiot," Jeod retorted.

"Ah, wha'ever," the guard said, clearly impatient to get back to his bottle. "Jus' make sure 'n give 'im a good beatin' f'r me." He said, swinging his arm.

"I'll do that," Jeod assured as the guard unbolted a small door set into the gate. We entered the keep, then Brom handed the guard a few coins.

"Thank'ee," mumbled the man, tottering away. As soon as he was gone, Eragon quickly strung his bow. I followed his lead, and strung my own bow. Jeod quickly let them into the main part of the castle. We hurried towards our destination, everyone listening for soldiers on patrol. At the records room, Brom tried the door. It was locked. Brom put his hand against the door.

"Ma'mor," Brom said. I instantly recognized the word as unlock in the Ancient Language. The door wung open with a faint click. Brom grabbed a torch from the wall, and they darted inside, closing the door quietly.

The squat room was filled with wooden racks piled high with scrolls. A barred window was set in the far wall. Jeod threaded his way between the racks, running his eyes over the scrolls. He halted at the back of the room. "Over here," he said. "These are the shipping records for the past five years. You can tell the date by the wax seals on the corner."

"So what do we do now?" I asked, pleased that they had made it so far without being discovered.

"Start at the top and work down," said Jeod. "Some scrolls only deal with taxes. You can ignore those. Look for anything that mentions Seithr oil." He took a length of parchment from his pouch and stretched it out on the floor, then set a bottle of ink and a quill pen next to it. "So we can keep track of whatever we find," Jeod explained.