Chapter I: The Meeting [Not Edited]

I slowly pulled my hand back so the bowstring was taunt. I held my breath as I looked down the shaft of the arrow. It looked like my aim would be true. However, only time would tell. As I released my breath, I released the bowstring.

The arrow flew straight, hitting the rabbit. There was a small squelch sound, and squeal that had, sadly, become all too familiar. I got up and stretched, I had been hiding in wait for too long, but I was glad that it had all paid off.

I stalked over to the fresh corpse, after checking that it was dead, and I picked it up by its ears.

With a sigh, I walked back to my current campsite. My campsite was a creative idea on my behalf. It had taken two days of hard work to complete but it was worth it, even if I was going to move on soon.

The campsite was a few metres away from a small river. Shrubs, thorny bushes and tall trees kept the camp hidden from sight, though. After discovering the clearing, I had made a small trench-like ditch in the earth, where there had already been a small dip. Once the ditch was made I started putting my stuff down, before covering it with bracken and more thorny bushes. My choice for the site had been good. It was in a thick shrubby area, which would prove hard to get to, no matter who you were or what you were.

I sat down, after clearing the bracken away so I could sit down comfortably, and started skinning the rabbit. I hardly paid any attention to what I was doing — proof that I had been doing this for far too long I suppose.

Even though I had been on my lonesome for a while, I still got lonely. There was no way I could describe the loneliness I felt. I would best describe it as an empty, sad feeling, similar to grief and regret in a way. I suppose the feeling is akin to that of feeling lost, whether in reality, emotionally, or mentally. It was like drowning in an abyss of darkness that there was no end to. Yet the loneliness wasn't as bad, as it had been during those first days, nor was the regret and grief as bad.

I had not seen human life in many weeks, although that might've been due to where I was. No one would think to travel to where I was, but I was still wary. However, that could simply be due to the stories I had heard. The Spine did not hold much fear for me. I never thought I knew all of its secrets nor did I try to convince myself I did.

After a while, I managed to get a fire burning, the wood I was using did not give off too much smoke and I only built a small fire so that it would give off a small amount of smoke.

As I waited for the meat of the rabbit to cook, I took to practising with my sword. Practising with my sword while my dinner cooked had become a tradition. My sword, which was by no means well made but not poorly made either, was one that I had come too learnt with and come to love.

The sword, in my eyes, was a beauty. It had a one-hand hilt but it did not have an average silver, steel blade. It had a simple cross guard although it was slightly thicker and longer than the average cross guard. The grip, and by extension the hilt, was wrapped in black leather that served as a comfortable grip but one easy to hold on to.

The blade itself was one of the weirdest things about the sword, instead of being silver and being made of steel. It was made of an unknown steel and was a black colour that seemed to shimmer dark purple in the right light.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, holding the sword in my right hand, I breathed out. My eyes snapped open and I darted forward towards an invisible enemy. I performed an overhead slice before I brought my sword closer to my torso and blocked a non-existent strike. From there, I sidestepped and flicked my blade towards the average person's ribs before pulling back and striking upwards.