Gone Too Soon (Part 1)

Chapter 20

Raine's POV

You're next. You're next. You're next. You're next. You're next. You're next.

My back arches off the bed as I sit up screaming. "Raine, what's wrong?!" I hear my aunt call out, before the sound of her feet pounding against the stairs, reached my ears. My door flings open to reveal my aunt in a white bathrobe that was stained with coffee and pink curlers all over her head.

"I'm sorry, it was just a nightmare," I respond, brushing my hand through my hair to feel it caked in sweat.

"I see, well get ready for school or you'll be late."

"Aunt Airi, I'm not feeling..." my voice suddenly dies out at the sharp glare she sent me.

"Don't even dare. I let you miss school all last week because you weren't feeling 'well' and I will not allow you to miss more."

"But..."

"No buts. It's obvious something happened that's keeping you from going, and until you decide to tell me why you don't really want to go, you're going to suck it up and go to school. End of discussion." She shoots me another glare before walking out of my bedroom, leaving me alone.

I throw my legs out from underneath my comforter when my phone goes off. I quickly reach for it and place it to my ear, falling forwards onto my bed in the process. "Hello?"

"Will you guys shut up?!"

I scrunch my eyes up in confusion, "hello?"

"Oh! Raine! It's Haruhi. I was just calling to see if you were alright. Since you hadn't been at school or at the host club we started to get worried and..."

"I understand," I mutter, "I have about fifty voicemails from Kyoya on my cell-phone. Did you ever figure out the Kasanoda problem?"

"Yeah, we did.  I wish you were here to help figure it out, but since you were gone..." 

"I guess you could say I was sick or something, but I'll be back today."

"Oh thank goodness. Tamaki's been going crazy over the fair's decorations, and I'm not as decorative as you are.  Anyway, that doesn't matter, I'll see you at school and remember that the fair is in a couple of hours, so you need to be here in about twenty minutes. Bye Raine."

The dial tone suddenly sounds, before I shut of my phone, my eyes drifting over to the burned picture on my dresser. My hands take hold of the photo, turning it around to see the etchings of the two words that had been haunting me for the past week and a half, before I form a fist, crumpling the photo in my hand.

*Later that Day*

I pull my cardigan tighter around me before turning to face the black haired girl in front of me. "You need to leave Raine.  Souta knows you're here, and if you don't get out of here as soon as possible, you won't have a chance."

"Kirai, I can't exactly leave," I mutter, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Well, why can't you?" She narrows her eyes at me before crossing her arms over her chest.

"If I leave, he'll kill everyone I've been in contact with.  That includes my aunt, her boyfriend, Haruhi, Tamaki, Hikaru, Kaoru, Mori, Honey, and..." I trail off when my eyes meet Kyoya's.  He shoots me a confused look as I look back at Kirai.  "...and you. He'll even kill you."

"You don't have to worry about me Raine, Souta's my dad after all, he won't kill me."

"He killed my entire family. Just because you're his family doesn't mean he'll overlook you being in contact with me, when he wants me dead."

I hear her sigh before I feel her hands clasp down hard onto my shoulders.  "Go tomorrow night.  You said your aunt was going on a business trip tomorrow night, right?" I nod at her as she continues, "good.  Your aunt and her boyfriend are covered then.  Since tomorrow is the last day of school before christmas holidays, the host club will be traveling, so they'll be covered as well."

"What about Haruhi?" I murmur before taking a step away from Kirai, massaging my shoulders.  

"If we both know Tamaki well enough, then he'll probably be stalking her everywhere.  So she'll be fine."