Chapter 20 Tears of Redemption

Both bird and dragon rampaged through the forest after all who fled. "Kane this is your doing!" Nathaniel shouted advancing upon the quivering man, "how could I know that stupid girl was the brat with the Phoenix flame" Kane said defensively, grabbing a stray mace and trying to still his shaking hands while facing the obviously angered young man. "She has always said to me stay away it's me or him" stated Nathaniel "now I can see it's going to be you but I still lose her too because no one knows how to get them back once the phoenix takes over!" he continued to scream. Kane said '"I know it has never occurred the only other time a phoenix took over the girl was lost forever and the phoenix destroyed its self when it plunged into that volcano because it killed its host, so no one really knows how to reverse it". "don't I know that" spat Nathaniel grasping Kane by the collar, streams of melting snow rushed over the ground leaving tracks of new growth in its wake. "You knew alright you just didn't know how precious her blood line was and now the elven line of the phoenix flame has ended" scalded Nathaniel pushing him to the ground and aiming his sword at Kane's heart.

The enemy were cowering where they stood praying to their gods that the flaming bird and possessed dragon would spare them if they lay down their weapons. But then something strange happened Star stream quietened and lightly landed back on the ground and stilled, while the phoenix flew close to the slushy half melted snow, it thrashed its head from side to side and spoke, "why l have given you eternal freedom and now you want to go back?", then a voice faint and soft came from the depths of the fire "yes, I may be free but they are not". All those on the ground stood in awe Lanora was able to become independent from the beast her voice floated over the battle field and all stood in happy sadness, the girl was now free to do what she wanted but she was not going to leave them for they were not free themselves and she was calming the bird. Nathaniel called to her "remember who you are, you're the elfling who showed us the way, you protected those magic flowers and you are good not evil use your dagger as vengeance for your family don't use your phoenix, please remember a smile can be the sign of silenced pain I didn't quite get it before but now I do, your smile doesn't suppress the pain but let's those who know you see it". Lanora's eyes cleared as she looked to him he smiled back at her but she knew he was hurting, "you remembered that" she inquired in a choked voice "yes of course because you showed it to me" he answered her. He looked at her she was a brave warrior the ultimate symbol of rebellion she was not the gentle girl who had shyly crept away every time they met.

Nathaniel put out his hand to her "please come back, I know not where to start but I will search with all my heart" and Lanora replied "as long as the sky is blue I will always love you". Lanora completely calming down was all she needed to regain control of her phoenix, and slowly the great bird gave in to her will seeing her argument clearly and shrank slowly down the fire retreating and lowered her to the ground. As soon as her feet touched the ground Lanora took out her dagger and strode over to the once mighty king who had caused so much devastation and hurt over the wounded lands. He grasped his sword for now he believed he had been judged and he must finish this girl before she finished him. He struck at her swift and made contact the blade sliced across her right hand the one handling the dagger, Lanora let out a small squeak and looked at her hand, her blood trickled down and over the gem and the strange red spot, Lanora watched the ruby red flow and the gold and silver flecks glinted like snow in the sun. As soon as her blood touched the red mark it sparked out in many different colours like when her blood sparked out over Nathaniel's hands when his blood mixed with hers.

Vines of sparkling light erupted and bound round him and her, the air was lit with fire, but it was not hot burning fire it was cold icy fire the sun brilliantly shone in the sky, the wind stilled where they were but howled in the forest trees the skies cleared and converged a single light circle over the battle field. When the light finally disappeared Lanora and Nathanial were left standing completely clean Lanora wore a knee length dress of pure white, and stockings of the lightest of blues, Nathaniel was wearing white pants with the lightest of blue coloured tunic top, each set of armour was in a neat pile beside them, and both were decorated in white crowns of glittering diamond haloing their heads, "from heirs blood is fires ice" Lanora whispered. "Did you spill your own blood on my dagger Nathaniel" she asked him, "yes but it was an accident and it wouldn't come off" he admitted, the letters on the ridge of the blade fluoresced and icy fire danced over the blade. The strange faded red spot was blood, thought Lanora, "My blood touched the gem and the spot of your blood, then it reacted" Lanora spoke transfixed on the blade. "The reason it never worked for me is because I'm not the heir it's riddled in the prophecy, the heir has not been born yet" she stated, "but how is that so?" inquired Kane "how can it work for one who is not alive yet?" he continued while slowly backing away. "Because the one is the heir of human and enchanted my blood and Nathaniel's blood is the blood of the heir" Lanora concluded for him, before lunging at him and piercing Kane straight in the heart with the fires ice leaping from the blade. "That means you were destined to meet young elfling" announced Bane "yes I guess it does" said Nathaniel blushing slightly.