Chapter 5- wise words from and elder

On the fifth day Lanora came to the last gnarled tree of the forest, a large willow deformed from years of battering wind. There were slight signs that someone had already crossed some hours ago. Standing beside the broad trunk she looked out over the barren land scape, and scanned the grey washed sky, deciding that it was safe she put on the mask and pulled on the hood, then urged Phantom into a fast gallop. They headed for the clump of twisted spike weed, the only plant that would grow, or was allowed to grow on this stretch of ground; kicking up a plume of dust as they went, that drifted away over the forest, and to others hidden away in the depth of the shadows it was signalling that someone was crossing the plain. They charged across the ground because it was safer to kick up the dust than stay on the plain to long especially since the light was already starting to vanish slowly from the sky. The dust had stirred interest and three large dragons took to the sky angling towards the column of black rising from the western flank of the castle. The spike weed was a few metres in front, when Lanora looked across the plain and saw three large shadows traveling across the ground, they made it to the thorny cover as the shadows became darker as the dragons swopped down to land. Backing into the grey green foliage of the spike weed thorns snagging at clothes and skin, Lanora analysed the dragons to see if they were anything to worry about, the first one the smallest of the three was a black *Pleat wing, nothing to be scared about, they're generally gentle natured, the second one an old dragon, the largest of them was a white, *Four pronged spike tail, but she didn't have time to study this one very long because the third and final dragon was a blue and red *Peaked- nose fire-tongue, a very aggressive species and rather temperamental they often attack people just for fun. They touched down in a flurry of heat and waited.

Lanora knew they would come straight to the spike weed because that is where the deep cut tracks lead to, so urging phantom out of their cover she confronted the dragons and spoke a single word "Crisan" then in a clear deep voice "why do you land on this barren plain oh noble ones" in the common tongue for dragons did understand it and spoke it themselves if the occasion called for it and her tone of voice and power within it made the dragons yield, they respected her. The spike tail the was first to answer in his deep throated voice "we came to see if there was an easy meal, young elfling" Lanora removed her mask and hood then simply asked "How did you know I was a halved, wise ones" now the pleat wing spoke in a silken voice "Because only elves, elflings or more commonly known as half-bloods and of course dragon lords know the proper way to address a dragon, and since the elves no longer venture out of their cities and all but one dragon lord is dead you must have to be a halved", " you are very wise indeed gentle one, I bow to you for not many know of the half-bloods existence" Lanora cautiously replied, the pleat wing swelled her chest with pride, "Luxna you know she's only saying these things to save her own skin" snarled the fire- tongue, curls of smoke escaping his nostrils. "That's enough out of you Blaze" retorted the spike tail raising his prong tipped tail to blazes head causing him to side step. Lanora looked at Blaze and said with confidence and authority "do not let your anger blind you feared one" "oh and Haviced Tron Flamin" Her eyes glowed green. To this statement he shut his mouth and stayed quiet for he knew she meant every word she said, the spike tail chucked with pleasure, for she was the dragon lord as well as an elfling. "It is us who should bow to you dragon lord, for you have not tried to enchant us and bent our will to do your bidding as has that tyrant of a king" stated Luxna "I do not enchant if it is not necessary and he is not even a master so you have every right to despise him" replied Lanora. "we will let you go on your way young one, but know this we will not be far away" Luxna spoke with gentle words "until we meet again young one" said the peak nose politely (which was quite out of the ordinary) dipping his head the spike tail took off in a flurry of wind and heat, the other two followed.

Lanora relaxed in the saddle that was the first time she had come face to face with such big dragons, even the pleat wing was massive, because only the smaller species live in the forest like the *Banded Stalic or *Feathered Ridge Back. So she was so relieved that she could talk to them as well, being a dragon lord did have its advantages, Lanora had avoided becoming breakfast for the three hungry reptiles. Surveying the plain yet again they headed for the next clump of spike weed this one was a bit further away than the other had been. Flying across the dirt they made it yet again, they would only have to do this once more before they would be able to go into the black wood the spooky forest that surrounded the western flank of the castle, the last forest. Yet the most hostile place, for this was the place that Kane let his conjured creatures roam.