♡4♡ A Kiss and a Promise

The image above is not Ayasha, it shows Nanami and Tomoe. I am sorry because I can't find any appropriate visual for this chapter.

Just to add more info, you will find the word purification fountain in this chapter. Purification fountains are the ones found near the entrance of the shrine, the water of is used for purification. Through this purified water, the people in Japan cleaned their hands and mouth before approaching the main hall.

........................

Ayasha's POV
My dream ended abruptly as I was shaken back into reality. The streaks of sunlight penetrated the window which blinded me. I blinked, closed my eyes, then blinked again. After several tries, my royal blue eyes finally fluttered open. There, I laid on my soft comfy covers mentally debating whether or not I should get up. Slowly and reluctantly, I uncovered myself, sat up, rubbed my knuckles onto my eyes, and stretched my arms above my head. I let out an exasperated sigh, groaning as I stood up from my bright fuchsia purple- colored bed.

"My gosh! What time is it? How long had I been asleep?" All of these questions shot through my mind as I let out a loud yawn, ready to continue the day.

~Time skip~
3rd Person's POV
Ayasha slumped in the sepia-colored sofa, feeling tired as hell after long hours of work. She felt as though she was dead on the inside but subconsciously awake.

"I feel the energy running inside of me is constantly being drained out." She sighed.

"Lady land god, you did a good job! Before anything else, let me check the list and see what is left to do.... You had pulled out the weeds, watered the flowers, swept the garden and the shrine stairs, cleansed the purification fountain, shined the floor, finished the laundry, cooked lunch, washed the dishes. Hmmmm.... The only thing that is left for you to do is to increase your divine powers through answering the prayers of the people!"

"Oh please, I am already tired... Is there any way for me to be out this daily routine?"

"You need to make Master Tomoe your familiar! Which means, he will do all the chores for you leaving you at rest!" Kotetsu exclaimed in an excited manner.

"That is amazing!! If you please, enlighten me on how I could make this fox to be my loyal familiar?"

"All you need to do is to kiss him on the lips!" The two shrine spirits synchronized.

"Hehh.... I wouldn't do that!! Anyway, I already outlived my 17 years of existence without anyone's help!" A sudden blush creep across her face.

Ayasha's POV
Suddenly, my head felt as if someone had shaken it until my brain was thoroughly bruised. Shooting pain stabbed chaotically through my body making me cringe to my dear self. Not long after, I heard a deep irritated voice outside the front door signalling the arrival of the fox. A loud bang was then heard indicating the door was being slammed shut. The approaching footsteps made my heart beat in such a way that it pounds a thousand miles per second in my chest.

"Welcome home, Master Tomoe! You had just arrived on the perfect time!" The two bowed down.

"I had expected much from you two, but you had disappointed me. Why are you still keeping this dumb-ass idiotic girl? I bet she had been sleeping all day long not being able to take even a single step! Truly, humans are incapable of accomplishing anything...."

"Ma-master Tomoe, she had done so well today and....."

"If you are thinking that you could convince me to become a familiar once again, then you had been mistaken! I would never, ever serve anyone else! Most especially, to be the familiar of this lame human goddess!! I don't know why Lord Mikage chose her to be the next Land god, but all I know is that she couldn't do anything right even for herself!" Tomoe seethed with rage.

His words shot through me so deep like an arrow. Wh..why? Why does he hate me so much? Have I done something wrong? Am I really such a burden? I tried my best, have I not done enough? Tears flowed down my cheeks and dripped from my chin. I was too sad to cry out and oppose, I just stood there as still as a statue. I tried to open my mouth, but no words came out. All I am is a normal teenage girl trying to find the place where I belong, why the hell can't he just see me that way?

As much as I tried to hold it in, the pain shot through me once again. I staggered backward as my mind swirls as though the world is a carousel. My breaths are shallow, my eyes were blinded by dark spots. The world rushes by in a blur and I know the pain is coming.... everything turned black.

"Lady Ayasha! Hang in there!"

"Master Tomoe! Help!!"

"What the?! Onikiri, Kotetsu, bring her to her room! Prepare the medications and I'll be calling the yokai doctor!" Tomoe panicked.

Meanwhile...
Tomoe's POV
"Crap! Why does she always have to faint whenever she encounters me? What's wrong with her?"

"This human land god of yours has anemia." The yokai doctor diagnosed.

"What in the world is anemia?" I questioned.

"I am sorry, this would somehow be scientific. But anyway, let me explain... Anemia is the condition of a human body having a lower-than-normal number of red blood cells leading to diminish the capacity of the blood to carry oxygen. Patients with anemia may feel tired easily, appear pale, develop and become short of breath. Since she had overworked, her body wasn't able to hold on anymore. Basically, her illness caused her to faint."

I was dumbfounded over the long explanation, but was then resumed to reality by the doctor's words.

"Unlike yokais, her lame human body couldn't withstand too much stress, pressure, and work. All she needs is plenty amount of rest and take these pills. Tell me, are you his familiar?" The yokai doctor narrowed his eyes.

"If you want to keep this human goddess of yours, you need to become her familiar or you'll lose her!"He abruptly left after leaving his statement...

"Onikiri, Kotetsu! Excuse us for awhile. Don't worry, I'll be the one to take care of Ayasha." I ordered.

"Thank you, Master!" Both replied.

I sat beside the pale body of the human goddess completely puzzled. Thousands of questions had flooded my mind making me as confused as hell. I could have just left her, but a part of me screamed to help her. All the years of my life, I had never been stuck in a dilemma as though I am being asked to choose between life and death. In no time, I needed to decide if I am to give up my freedom and become a familiar to save this mysterious girl.

"I am sorry, I did try my best! I am sorry if I had not done enough!" My thoughts were cut off as she sobbed in her sleep.

I might not be able to fully understand what she had been put through, but just by those words, I was struck by realization. Maybe I had been too rude, maybe I had reached too far, maybe...

I leaned closer to her porcelain-like figure, so fragile as if by anytime I could break her. Slowly, I pulled her face closer and our lips met. The kiss was brief and perfunctory,a duty done, a ritual performed. I did what I never thought I'd do. I sealed the contract as her familiar.
...........................

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Author-chan: Finally!!!! Tomoe is a Familiaaaaar!!!

Tomoe: Shut upppppp!!! Thanks to you, I am a familiar again! Do you know that I had waited for so long to regain my freedom? And you just ruined my entire lifeeeee !!!!"

Author-chan: Sorryyyyyyyy (*cries and cringes on the corner*)

Anyway......

Since my mind is working well, I was able to make a long chapter ^-^ So far, this is my longest one. I am hoping that you guys did not grew tired and bored. Thank you again for the ones that had continued to support my book through reading and voting!

With love,
Janell :3