Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Hey..Sarah..." Mikey said uneasy. He just stared at me and I had no words to say.

All I did was run up to him and hug him with everything in me. He hugged me back and caressed my hair. He smelled like a bonfire and woods. Tears were prickling my eyes, thinking that this was unreal.

Eventually I pulled away and looked his face. Mikey looked so different. He was now 23, had more stubble and had a scar on his forehead that I don't recall him having.

I traced the long scar that started on the middle of his forehead and ended at his temple. Of course I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach. Mikey was a whole foot taller than me.

"You look different." He pointed out, picking up a strand of my long locks. He remembers a tomboy that would live in sweats and old t-shirts. Oh how times have changed.

"Where have you been?" I shoved his hand away. He looked down and gestured to the couch for me to sit. But I couldn't sit. I couldn't stop thinking about if he was leaving or staying or if he was even real.

That's pretty dramatic I know, but Mikey's supposed to be dead.

"I was stationed in Iran when there was an attack on my troop. I was one of three people that got out." He paused to look for an emotion in my eyes but he just continued. "I was in terrible condition. I had been captured and tortured. When I was rescued my commanding general said that with me dead, I could be used on secret missions."

"So you let us believe you were dead?!" I jumped up and yelled.

"It's not like I had a choice! Do you think I liked being there? I had to listen to my orders!" He shouted right back at me.

"You left us!" I screamed. I fell to the floor, staring at nothing. My voice came out softly, "I was so lost...I didn't eat, slept for days on end. I was destroying myself."

Mikey did what he always did when I was upset: pick me up, cuddle me on his lap. I started crying quietly while I held onto him for dear life.

"Don't leave again..." I pleaded.

"Never sis."

"How long have you been home?" I questioned looking up at him.

A smile etched on his lips, "About a week and a half."

I frowned and huffed, "And no one wanted to tell me you were home?!"

"You would've never believed it, unless you saw for yourself." Mikey pointed.

"Touché."

A vibration was felt in my pocket, so I whipped out my phone and answered the call.

"Hello?" My rusty, crying voice answered.

"ARE YOU OKAY?" "YOU NEVER TWEETED US." "ARE YOU SAFELY HOME?"

"Whoa, just shut up. I'm fine." I looked at Mikey, who was mouthing who's that? "I'm better than fine."

I smiled and climbed off his lap, going to the fridge upstairs to get a water.

"Why does it sound like you're crying then?" Louis asked.

"Long story boys.." I took a swig of my water and sat down in the living room.

"Well I'm glad you're okay.." Niall said.

"You always seem to make us worry." Harry grumbled. I could just feel the smirk he had on his face though.

"It was great talking to you boys, but I have some important things I need to do. I'll fill you in another time. Talk to you later!" I rushed out and hung up before they could say anything. Then switched my phone off.