Just What I Needed (31)

The days had once again turned into what Keely expected from New York City in October, and she'd bundled herself into a baggy gray sweatshirt. And even when she left the sharp wind from the streets for the warmth of UAE Records, she still kept her ice cold hands covered in the sleeves that were just too long for her.

She was just thankful that today they were only supposed to be working on the vocals, because she doubted her frozen fingers would be able to handle playing the guitar at that moment.

“Keely!”

That was one of the few voices in the world that could make her stop in her tracks. “Yes?” Keely answered smoothly, spinning around on her converse shoe heel.

“I need to talk to you and Seth later,” said Maureen in that commanding voice of hers, looking dignified as always. Once again, Keely noticed the slight horde of people behind the woman, her best guess was that they might be interns or A and R reps.

Nodding quickly, she replied, “What time?”

“Don't worry, I'll come and get you two when I'm free.”

With those words Ms Jones walked away in her calm gait, while the people stumbled after her, causing Keely to stiffen in case she was knocked over.

Turning around, she started to walk to the studio, but that same voice caused her to stop again. “Oh, and if you need to brush your hair, I'm sure Jordan could lend you a brush.”

Scowling Keely kept walking, wondering why every one seemed to have an obsession with telling her when her hair was messy, plus who was Jordan? Going down to the studio, she began to brush her with her fingers, the wind outside having played havoc with it.

When she pushed open the door to the studio, she just had time to scowl at the empty control room before the door was opened behind her again.

Spinning around, she saw Seth, a tray with two disposable mugs inside. His hair was looking even messier than normal, making Keely think that he probably had been walking in the wind as well. And the gray hoodie beneath his black leather jacket could only hint to the fact that she hadn't been the only one bundling up against the cold either.

“Oh, good, you're here,” Seth said hurriedly, dropping the tray on the back table.

Keely was busy beaming at the tray, she hadn't had time to even make coffee if she wanted to be at the studio by nine in the morning. “You brought coffee?”

Yet her words didn't even seem to penetrate Seth's mind, because when she looked away from the coffee to him, Keely saw him opening the door to the hall again. “C'mon, we've got to go like right now.”

“But-coffee!” she returned, pointing to the table.

He rolled his eyes, saying, “Yeah, yeah, yeah, in a minute.”

“Seth!” Keely whined.

Giving a loud sigh, Seth simply leaned forward, grabbing her by the hand and dragging her out of the control room. “I have to show you something,” he explained, his long jean clad legs eating up the ground so quickly that Keely almost had to jog behind him.

They were once again attracting stares for their odd behavior, but Keely barely noticed as she tried to keep up with him.

“What is it?” she asked, half running as they dodged between people.

All sorts of horrible things were going through her mind since she couldn't see a good reason that Seth would be acting this way. He'd done this to her before, but had been being arrogant and simply annoying at the time so it hadn't bothered her so much, yet this time he hadn't even bothered to insult her.