Just What I Needed (61)

Although she frowned slightly at the sound of the smooth female voice, Keely didn’t lift her head from where her forehead was pressed on the bar. “Oh, well, I’m more of a bitch usually. But those were song lyrics, sorry, I’m off my game tonight. Not my best analogy.”

“Oh,” the faceless voice responded sounding rather confused. Yet her voice strengthened with her next words, giving the impression of a hint of laughter. “You were really great up there.”

Wincing slightly at her cowardly behaviour while someone was trying to comfort her, Keely lifted her head from the bar, staring straight forward as she brushed her hair from her eyes. “Yeah, freaking brilliant, right?” she replied dryly, tucking ginger curls behind her ears. “I’m wondering how long until security shows up, I bet they think I’m going to start stealing jewellery soon.”

“Plenty to choose from,” replied the voice, holding a note of disdain that made the sides of Keely’s mouth quirk up slightly. “Do these people even like music? I thought this was supposed to be a concert.”

She shook her head ever so slightly as the next band started up, but the crowd hadn’t learnt the lesson from her screaming at them before and just continued to talk. “I think it’s less about the music and more a “let’s show off how much money we have” kind of thing,” Keely sent back smoothly, tilting her head towards the side.

Immediately she choked in the back of her throat in surprise when she met the light brown eyes that slid over to a tint of gold.

Coughing at the sharp intake of breath, Keely spun around in the stool, making sure she was face to face with the dark haired girl. The same girl who belonged to Burn To Shine, the same band who had made the album that was still in her record player in her hotel room.

“You’re Rosemary Adams?” she managed to get out, her eyes bulging slightly.

The girl blinked, but a slow smile spread across her lips as she spoke, “You know me?”

Feeling a bit blindsided, Keely leaned her arm against the bar, rubbing her other hand over her forehead blankly. “Yeah, of course I do. I saw a video of Burn To Shine covering Doesn’t Remind Me months ago, I’ve pretty much been following you ever since. I have your album on vinyl and CD,” Keely laughed slightly, realizing she sounded a bit like a hysterical fan, but not able to control herself yet. “And when I was teaching myself to play the piano, I would learn a lot of your compositions by ear.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Rose responded disbelievingly, letting out a shaky little laugh. “You’re pretty much my hero. When you were on that talk show and you threw your headband offstage and sang Bad Reputation, I was watching it on my computer cheering you on from hundreds of miles away–” her pale cheeks tinged with red at the words “–oh and your music is amazing, of course. God, your voice,” she breathed, seeming to sink back into memories as her eyes focused inwards before closing them. “I’ve never heard anything like it.”

In response Keely couldn’t help the sarcastic smirk that flitted onto her mouth even though she could feel her heart swell in her chest at the words. “Oh, yeah, I’m great at screwing things up for myself,” she answered with a little roll of her eyes. “But seriously, I really want to learn the guitar part of your guys’ song Counterfeit, I’d love to be able to play a cover. The song is…” she trailed off, trying to find the words as she stared absently over Rose’s shoulder. “Well, I think it’s incredible, but I don’t think that word is enough.”

When the other girl let out a chuckle, her eyes twinkling with excitement, Keely felt an answering smile come onto her mouth.

“So it’s safe to say we’re fans of each other,” said Rose as she shook her head. “I’ll make you a deal, I’ll personally teach you Counterfeit, if you’ll teach me Yesterday’s Gone. Fair warning, I’m going to sing because there are a few things that I’d like to get out and screaming seems like a good idea at the moment.”