Just What I Needed (11)

Having snuck out of drama class early, Keely was in the bathroom changing for her lunch meeting with Maureen.

She hadn't wanted to attend the meeting to start the rest of her life in a ruffled long sleeved red shirt and a blue checkered shirt with a plaid matching hairband. Though the designs were original - having come from the great mind of Haley Sawyer - she wanted to distinguish herself from any cliches about a private school girl. But she still ended up in an outfit Haley had made for her.

The outfit consisted of ultra skinny black jeans, a black and red flannel shirt that was fitted perfectly for her, a long black scarf and dark brown ankle boots.

Now she was just perfected her hair so that it curled artfully over her shoulders, although for makeup she just stared blankly at herself. In the end it was simply, just mascara. Satisfied, Keely took a step back, and observed her outfit. Haley had told her the outfit was young, but with a hint of rock chick. Keely didn't exactly know what that meant, but she thought it looked good.

Looking at her phone, Keely noticed it was five to one.

Still leisurely, she grabbed her shoulder bag and strolled to her locker. Where she just pulled her songbook out before walking to the front foyer.

But then stopped dead in her tracks.

Isn't a limo a bit too much for a ride in Bellingham for a lunch meeting? Even if you're meeting with the owner of one of the largest record labels in the world, it still seemed rather ostentatious. What happened to the car she was supposed to be sending over? Even that would be weird, but at least Keely wouldn't feel like some music cliche.

"Keely Staub?" the limo driver asked in a suit that matched his rather bored voice.

"Yes," she answered a bit nervously, chewing on her lip.

Without another word, he opened her door, gesturing her inside. Still a bit anxious, Keely did as she was told.

It wasn't long until she'd reached the restaurant, Keely could see the people in the town staring at the limousine as they drove past. And even though she knew that the windows were tinted, Keely pushed herself back against the seats, as if trying to disappear.

Great rock star you are, Keely criticized herself silently. How are you going to handle it if people want your autograph one day? Run and hide?

About an hour later, Keely was picking through her lunch.

They had gone over most things that Keely would have deemed important. Deciding that Keely should tell her dad she was accepting a record deal soon, and that Maureen would come to get his parental permission at the house, where he was most comfortable, that Maureen was already finding her someone to tour with and Keely had let Miss Jones look into her song book.

Her stomach had clenched awfully seeing someone flip through her songs. It was like showing someone her soul. 

But taking from the sounds of pleasure Maureen made as she flipped through the pages, Keely had a feeling that her songs would do, even if they'd need a bit of tampering with later on.

But Keely had a feeling Miss Jones was holding out on some vital information.

"So," Maureen said, pushing away her salad and smiling kindly at Keely. "I have to ask you something, and please keep an open mind."

"These things never end well," Keely joked weakly, the nerves in her stomach jittering.

Maureen sent her a slightly amused smile before continuing, "I live in Bellingham with my daughter sometimes. The only reason I live part time here instead of New York is because I want to keep her a bit grounded. But Mitchie is going to be starting school soon, and I need to move her back to New York."