Gone

Mal's POV

I wake to the sound of muffled sobs and quiet whispers. Maybe that's strange for some people, but after all we've been through, it isn't rare to wake up and find one or more people quietly crying and trying their best to sift through the most recent nightmare. Heck, Sometimes it's me doing the crying, though at least I have Newt to help me out. At first I keep my eyes closed, not wanting to embarrass whoever it is that was crying, not that anyone should be embarrassed, we have every right to cry. Eventually though, the whispers grow louder, until I can make out individual voices. To my surprise I hear Newt's voice, and then Minho's. Minho seems to be the one who'd been crying, judging by the way his voice cracks when he speaks. Minho? Why would... Oh shuck no! Skylar!

With a sudden burst of terror my eyes pop open, and I shoot up. I look in the direction of the voices, and sure enough, Minho is sitting there looking absolutely terrible, and Newt and Thomas appear to be trying to talk to him about something. Quickly, I scan the room for Skylar, but see no sign of her. Getting more and more worried, I stand, swiftly making my way towards the boys. Their heads snap up the instant they see me coming.

"What's going on?" I whisper, having enough sense not to wake the other gladers. Newt motions for me to come to him, and I do, sitting in tentatively in his lap.

"Sky's gone." Newt whispers, dropping his head to avoid my eyes. I feel my heart drop, we just got her back yesterday.

"What!" I whisper-shout, my body starting to shake. "She's...she's...dead?" I ask, barely able to get the words out of my mouth.

"No!" Newt answers quickly, his head snapping up to look at Minho. "She's just, uh..." Minho holds out his hand, reluctantly handing over a crumpled piece of paper. Hesitantly, Newt takes it, before handing it over to me. I press it flat, only to be horrified by what I find.

As you may have realized, Subject A3 has caused a number of problems for our trials. However, the trials must go on, therefore, not only will Subject A3 be paying for all the trouble she's caused, we have been forced to resort to extreme measures.

As you can see, we have captured her, and will be holding her until you complete the trials

As you can see, we have captured her, and will be holding her until you complete the trials. If you do not reach the safe haven, she will be killed. Also, if that is not enough incentive for you, for everyday that you don't head for the safe haven, someone else will disappear.

Good Luck,
Janson, Co-director, W.I.C.K.E.D