Waiting Game

The first day without food was mildly annoying, mostly consisting of people grumbling and whining about being hungry. It was frustrating, but we all expected something to happen the next day. So overall it was bearable, drink enough water and you could almost forget you were hungry.

Day two was awful. Tempers ran high and patience ran really, really low. Newt and Minho broke up at least a dozen fights, and those were just the ones they weren't involved in. I had the privilege of breaking up the ones they were involved in. Which was a combined total of at least five. So yes, that was just wonderful.

Day three? We might as well have been dead. Everyone slept most of the day, only getting up to get a drink of water or use the bathroom. honestly, I was surprised every time I woke up. I expected each time I fell asleep to be my last. Technically, the human body is supposed to be able to survive for months without food. Let me tell you, that is a bunch of klunk. It's been three days, and I barely have the strength to get out of bed, after three months? No way. If I was alive, I'd certainly be wishing I wasn't. Think about food, cry, sleep, wake up, be surprised I woke up, wander to the bathroom, get a drink, think about food, and repeat. That about sums up day three.

Today was day four, and I hadn't even bothered to move from my bed. The bathroom seemed all together too far away, and besides, I wasn't thirsty anyways. I was starving, and I could think of nothing else. My stomach ached and my head pounded. My thoughts were starting to no longer make sense, strange dreams came and went, broken up only by short periods of semi-consciousness. If something didn't happen today, I was going to die.

"Skyyylaar." A hazy voice cuts through my sleep. "Skylar wake up."

No. I think, silently begging the voice to shut up, and let me go back to sleep. For once I'm having a good dream, and I don't feel like waking up just so Minho can make sure I'm alive. Ya, he'd already done that three times today. It was pointless really, if I was dead there'd be nothing he could do, and if I wasn't, then sleeping wasn't going to hurt anything. He apparently didn't agree.

"Skylar! I know you can hear me? Wake up!" He says, a hint of panic making his voice a slightly higher pitched. When I don't respond, he begins shaking me.

"Go away and let me sleep!" I growl, slapping his hand away from my arm and slamming a pillow over my head.

"Why wouldn't you answer me?"

"Because, if you couldn't tell I was trying to sleep." I reply, my voice coming out weak and scratchy. "Yes I'm alive, now go away and let me sleep!"

"Um, that's not what I was going to say, but ok." He says, pulling the pillow away from my face. "Thought you might want one of these?" He holds out a red object. It takes me a minute to focus before I realize it's an apple.

"Where did you get it?" I ask, snatching the apple from him and quickly taking a bite. I hungrily devour the apple, not even stopping to wipe away the juice that drips down my chin.

"From the other room." He says, pointing over his shoulder to the door. He takes a bite out of his own apple before handing me another. "Now, don't eat this one too fast or you'll just puke, trust me a lot of people already have."

"Sohodidyagetthefood?" I mumble, my mouth full of apple.

"What?" He asks, shaking his head at my disregard of his warning.

"I said, how-did-you-get-the-food."  I repeat, after swallowing the apple so I could speak clearly. If they got food, surely it got in somehow, maybe we are finally getting out. At best, someone actually came to our rescue. At worst, WICKED is finally ready for whatever they have planned. As much as I'd like to believe the rescue theory, the realistic part of me knows it's probably too much to hope for. Well at least WICKED plans on feeding us before they send us to die. How thoughtful. I can only hope they'll let us keep our memories this time. Forgetting my friends now, would be worse than death.

"You'd never believe me if I told you." He sighs, handing me a third apple. I can already feel the strength returning to my body, energy beginning to course through my veins. What were those? Magic apples? At this point I wouldn't be surprised, crazier things have happened. Much crazier things.

I roll my eyes, "ya right, after all we've seen, nothing would surprise me anymore."

"Come see for yourself then, bet you a kiss you're surprised."

"You're on."