Recovery

Toni

"Ma'am is he allergic to anything"? The paramedic asked me.

"Nothing..nothing at all". I said in a shaky voice. The paramedic gave Kenny some oxygen and then ripped his shirt open. The bandage on his chest was covered in blood. The paramedic took the bandage off revealing the stitches. "Ma'am can you tell me what this is the result of". The paramedic asked while examining Kenny's chest.

"He got shot". I sadly said. "Shot? In the chest"? The paramedic asked suspiciously. The paramedic lifted Kenny up and looked at his back. "The bullet didn't go through. So basically what we could be dealing with is a hydrostatic shock. Has he been thirsty a lot"? The paramedic explained.

"Well last night he did seem very thirsty while he was drinking a soda". I replied. "Okay I'm going to tell you honestly what's going on because I don't want you to hear all of this at the hospital. He may need surgery because the root of the problem is this wound. I don't know if the bullet is still in or if it has hit a organ". The paramedic explained.

All I heard was the word surgery and completely broke down. What if the bullet has hit something important and this whole time Kenny has been slowly dying.

"Thank you for telling me the truth". I said shaking the paramedics hand. "You're welcome. Just don't let them tell you in there that he's going to need major surgery. Sometimes things are minor but they try to make it more difficult for their own benefits". The paramedic smiled.

The door opened and we ran through the hospital. I never once left Ken's side. They did a X-Ray and saw the bullet still in him. The bullet was so close to his heart that if he would had laughed or coughed he would be dead.

3 Months Later

"I want daddy to tuck me in"! Adriana whined. "Baby daddy is in the hospital resting he can't be here right now". "Time him mommy"! Adriana pleaded. "His phone is home with us baby I can't Facetime him". After 2 hours of Adriana crying she finally fell asleep. She's been doing this every night for 2 months and I'm so exhausted.

"Adam! Adrian! I know that game is not on"! "No"! The said in unison. "Then what is that noise and flashing lights"? Suddenly the room went dark and got very quiet.

I went in my room and got in the shower. I let the warm water hit my body as I drifted off into another world. I closed my eyes and felt strong arms wrap around me. I quickly grabbed the arms and held on to them tightly. Then in my right ear I heard in Kenny's raspy morning voice "I love you". I blushed as I opened my eyes while turning around to be disappointed again. This is the fourth time this week I've had this fantasy.

I got dressed for bed and stared at the ceiling. I flipped through the channels and saw that "Star Wars" and "I Love Lucy" was on but they didn't amuse me. Right when I was about to pick up the phone it rung.

"Hey girl what you doing"? I heard Tamar giggle through the phone. "Missing my man". I replied sadly. "Girl if you don't get your life"! Tamar squealed through the phone. "Toni missing that back cracking". Traci blurted out.

"Hey I didn't know everybody was on". "You weren't suppose to know thanks blabber mouth Traci". Trina said disappointed. "You're all welcome". Trina said laughing.

"So Toni how are you doing"? Towanda asked worried. "I'm okay it's just been a hassle with the kids and everything.

Meanwhile In The Hospital

Kenny

"It's time for your physical therapy Mr. Edmonds". Nurse Betty said. "Aww do I have too. That last man was so rough and he popped bones in my body I didn't know existed".

"He was just trying to limber you up. The new physical therapist is a little different". Nurse Betty smiled. Nurse Betty wheeled me in the gym and left.

"Sorry I'm late". A voice spoke walking in. "It's okay". "Hi. I'm Keri". He reached out shaking my hand. "Hey I'm Kenny". We worked on getting my stamina and agility back up. The bullet had hit a nerve causing my left leg to be very weak.

"Ok Kenny you did great today! Now I'm going to start needing you to walk everyday for at least an hour". Keri explained. "Ok. I'll try". "Alright now tell me about yourself. I try to have a better connection with my patients by gaining a relationship". Keri smiled.

"Well I'm married to the most amazing woman and have three kids". "That's great! I'm so happy to finally get a patient with some motivation at the house. So many of them give up because they have no one to do it for or push them". Keri said pushing me down the hallway in my wheelchair. "Yeah that's great".

"Well I have to go, get some rest. I'll see you next week". Keri disappeared turning off my room light.

The Next Day

"Surprise"! Toni squealed walking through the door. "Hey baby. How are you"? "I'm good. But the question is how are you"? Toni asked curiously. "I'm great I got a new physical therapist yesterday. He's really nice and easy unlike that other guy".

"That's great baby. Are you ready"? Toni said zipping up my suitcase. "Yes I am". I said slowly getting up.