Seeing life in different colours [Merman!Louis]

The splashing sound has been following Harry for days now. At first, he thought that maybe it was a dolphin. It's said that dolphins sometimes swim along with boats. But they didn't follow the same boat for days. And besides, Harry was pretty sure he'd seen a glimpse of a cerulean tail. Dolphins may have a blueish colour, but they weren't as bright as the sky in early June.

After a dolphin, his second guess would be some kind of sea monster, like in legends and fairy tales. If they had even existed in the first place. But sea monsters don't exist, so Harry was left wondering what might cause the sound.

But right now, sunbathing on deck and listening to some music, he can't bring himself to care. He feels like he's living his dream.

After he graduated from high school, he decided (much against Anne's, his mum, will) to take a gap year to travel the world. By boat. Harry didn't have a clue about boats but his friend Niall did. And fortunately, Niall had no problem joining Harry on his journey, much to Anne's dismay. She'd never liked Niall anyway.

And here they are, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a small boat, Harry sunbathing and Niall steering the boat in the right direction. Harry had tried to tell Niall about the noise, only to be laughed at, even more so when he said it might be some kind of sea monster. Niall didn't believe in that kind of nonsense, as he had called it. "Harry, mate", he had said, "there's no such thing as a sea monster. Probably just some fish." And Harry knew he shouldn't talk about it anymore.

Harry sighs and pushes his sunglasses up higher where they're perched on his nose. It's getting noticably colder and darker and he hopes it's not because there's a storm on the way. His sunglasses are becoming pretty useless as the sun disappears behind thick, grey clouds and he hears Niall cursing. "Harry, get inside and make sure you're holding onto something. This ain't gonna be fun."

"I'm coming!" Harry is scrambling to get his phone and shirt before he joins Niall in the steering cabine.

"Storm ahead," Niall says without looking at him.

"Can't we turn around?" Harry asks.

Niall shakes his head shortly. "The storm will catch up with us. We might as well go straight through it now." And all of a sudden, they're in the middle of it. The boat is shaking and it hangs dangerously far to the right. Harry's phone slips out of his hand and he gets up to get it; it's his only way to keep in touch with his Mum.

"Harry, stay seated!" Niall yells but Harry doesn't hear him. When he crouches down to grab his phone, his head smashes into a cabinet and he passes out.

When he wakes up, he's soaked and laying in a small puddle of water. His first thought is that Niall is nowhere to be seen. His second thought consists of lots of swearing and fuck, this boat is sinking. Then Harry thinks of his phone and grabs it out of the puddle of water that has formed on the floor. He presses the home button repeatedly but nothing happens. Seems like iPhones don't handle water very well. Though, the fact that Apple really needs to waterproof its phones isn't really Harry's biggest concern right now.

What his biggest concern is, is that this boat is sinking, and fast. He doesn't think swimming will save his ass in this situation. He thinks of the boat's radio next but he hasn't got a clue how that thing works so that plan is out the window too.

Shouldn't there be a life vest somewhere? In the sleeping cabines, maybe? But when Harry steps out of the steering cabine, any plans of searching the sleeping cabines for life vest vanish. The other half of the boat is nowhere to be seen and Harry presumes it's somewhere on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.