After all this time (I'm still into you) [drabble]

After all this time (I'm still into you) [Larry drabble]

"Well Harry, you're a big boy now! Already going to kindergarten!" Harry nodded proudly and clutched his plush kitten Fluffy to his chest.

"How old are you?" Miss asked, a smile on her face. One of little Harry's small hands left the cat and held up four fingers. "Four already?" she gasped. Harry nodded again. He felt big, now he was going to kindergarten and not to preschool anymore. Preschool was for babies. "Well, why don't you come with me? I've got a table all set for you."

Miss seemed nice enough, Harry thought. Maybe leaving Mummy wasn't so bad. 

"Be a good boy", Anne said. Harry nodded, still clutching Fluffy. She kissed him on the top of his head. "Be nice to the kids and show them how good your manners are. Sharing is caring, remember?"

"Sharing is caring", Harry repeated obediently, like his Mummy had taught him. 

Anne smiled. "Very good. I love you, baby. I'll be back soon." Miss took him by the hand and he waved at his Mummy with wide green eyes as Miss lead him into the classroom.

"This is your seat, Harry. It's for you and you alone, so don't let the other kids take it from you. Some can be very mean. If they are, you have to tell me." Harry nodded, even if he didn't understand why people would be mean to each other. Wasn't it much more fun to all be friends? 

There was a sign on his table with letters on it and Harry tried to read it because Mummy had taught him to read and spell his own name. "H-A-R-R-Y", he spelled out carefully, recognizing the letters as his own name. 

Miss looked impressed. "Very good", she praised him and Harry smiled proudly. "Come on, let's put your kitten away. What's her name?"

"Fluffy", Harry told her, hugging the plush animal closer to his chest.

"That's a nice name. Let's give her a nice place, shall we?" Harry reluctantly handed Fluffy to her and she put the plush kitten on the shelf where some other stuffed animals were placed already. "Now she can watch over you and have fun with the others, see?" Harry nodded, but went to stand on his tippy-toes to see if he could still reach her. He didn't want her to be too far away.

Miss took him by the hand and lead him to his seat. Harry noticed that all of a sudden every seat was taken. "Well kids, let's make a circle!" Miss said cheerfully. Everyone dragged their chairs to the centre of the classroom and formed a circle. Harry followed their example and he sat next to two boys who looked somewhat older than Harry himself.

"Children, this is Harry and he's new here! I want you all to be nice to him, can you do that?" 

"Yes Miss", everyone chorused. Harry blushed when all the attention was suddenly shifted towards him.

After that, everyone told something about their weekend but Harry had nothing to tell. He hadn't visited his granny and he didn't have a nice brand new firetruck to play with. He only had Fluffy and she knew all of his secrets. It was not like his parents couldn't afford the toys, but Harry never wanted them. Fluffy was all he needed.

After story-telling time, Miss told them to go back to their tables and start colouring with the pencils they had brought. Harry sniffled. He hadn't brought pencils. It was only his first day and he had already disobeyed the rules. What would his Mummy think of him?

"Miss, Harry doesn't have pencils!" a boy called. Harry sniffled again and rubbed his eyes with his small fists. He was a big boy now and big boys didn't cry. 

"Didn't you bring pencils sweetie?" A tear escaped and Harry sniffled harder, shaking his head. Miss didn't say anything and more tears escaped, quicker and quicker.