Barely A Mother - Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

.:Jody:.

I was woken up by the screams of a woman. I sat up straight and I took a few seconds before I realised it was my mother’s scream. I jumped out of bed and rushed to my paren- no not my parents room, my mother’s room now.

I swung the door open to find my mum sat on her bed crying. I was soon joined by my father and brother, who had worry struck across their faces.

“Julie what’s the matter?” asked my dad. My mum looked up at him for a second and burst into more tears.

I turned to the two men that had no idea what to do and quietly said to them, “I’ll talk to her,” I took a glance at the clock on my mother’s bedside cabinet and carried on talking “You two go back to sleep… you look like you need it.”

“But you need sleep too Jody!” said my brother.

I smiled, “I won’t be able to get to sleep now knowing that mum’s upset and two men would be trying to deal with her.” The boys nodded and my dad gave me a kiss on the forehead and they retreated to their rooms.

I turned back to my still crying mother. She was seriously upset about something. I sat on the edge of her bed and brought her into a hug. She clutched onto my clothing and cried. It took a little while for her to be in the state for actually talking and not just letting out mumbles that I couldn’t understand.

“Mum, what’s the matter?”

She thought about it and gave a humourless laugh, “This will sound really silly but I had a dream… well nightmare and you all died horrible deaths. That’s when I woke up screaming and when I saw your father I cried even more because he was the one I was affected about most and that made me feel guilty and I’m so sorry.” Okay… so she was upset over a dream where we all died and she’s feeling guilty because in the dream she cared more about my father.

“Mum it’s okay, it was only a dream. Don’t feel guilty, you’ve just broke up with someone you care about dearly and so it won’t be east getting over all the feelings you have with him.”

Mum looked at me, “Really?” I nodded and she hugged me in thanks. Sometimes I wonder who the parent is, I guess it is practise.

“Thank you darling. Go back to bed; I’m sorry for waking you. I promise I’ll be fine now.” She gave me a reassuring smile when she saw the hesitance in my eyes. I smiled back and walked out the room closing the door quietly so it wouldn’t wake the men of the house.

Hmm what to do now? It was half four and school starts in 3-4 hours.  I decided I’d make myself look prettier because I was hoping people would find out about me and Andrew going out… I don’t want to look horrible against Andrew, he’s amazing!

I took a nice warm shower and decided to let my hair naturally dry, for now at least. I picked out the best clothes I owned that didn’t make me look terrible or fat. Luckily I don’t have a baby bump yet, I can’t wait for people to notice that! (Hear the sarcasm!)