Time After Time

"This Art history: Time and Illusions is really kicking my ass." I tell my friend as we exit my dorm to walk to class together.

"I told you not to take that shit." She chuckles. "That's what you get."

"Well you're a bit mentally challenged Mads, I just thought it was hard for you." I drawl out and laugh as she hits me on the arm.

"Fuck you blondie." She laughs along with me.

"I've already told you Mads, I don't swing that way." I joke.

"And what way is that...Puerto Rican?" She asks, raising a brow. "Cause your ass sure as hell-"

"You did not just say that?" I stop walking, bending over to laugh and finding it hard to breathe.

"What'd I say?" She asks seriously. I can't even deal with her right now. When I finally get my breathing under control I link our arms and shake my head at my friend.

"You're a freaking riot, you know that?" I question my friend who just smiles as we continue our trek to class. I hate the fact that my dorm is completely across campus now; away from all my classes.

"You love me." She smiles.

"That I do." I tell her, laying my head down on her shoulder. "Where's Aiden?" I ask, realizing he's not making this normal walk with us.

"He's decided to skip his morning classes today." She replies with a shrug. I mumble out an 'oh' and notice her glancing over at me. "You okay Spence?" She asks after a moment. I know what she's asking me without her having to say it.

This past summer was... well, the worst and best times of my life.

I fell in love... like really fell in love.

And then had my heartbroken.

I lost my absolute best friend, but became immensely closer to another.

I realized that although my mom gets on my nerves most of the time, she always only has my best interest at heart.

I've experienced more one summer then some people experience their entire lives.

Most importantly, I've felt it... I know what it feels like to love someone so much it hurts. To be willing to do anything for them. To want them so much you forget where you end and they begin. And most importantly, I know what it's like to give up that love. To believe that the only way to make things right is to give up the one thing you want in life.

I sigh and close my eyes, relishing in the memory of the brunette. I don't really say her name anymore. It hurts too much. And until now, Madison hasn't really brought it up. She knows that I don't like to talk about it.

"I'm okay." I whisper.

"You know I love you right?" She stops us, turning to me. I give her a confused look before nodding.

"Of course."

"And that I wouldn't do anything that I didn't think was good for you, right?"

I nod again. "Madison what's going on?" I question. I'm so confused right now.

"I'm being a good best friend." She gives me a small smile before turning me around to face the other direction.

I gasp at the sight in front of me.

Am I dreaming?

This must be a dream.

I rub my eyes, telling myself to wake up.

"You're not dreaming." An all too familiar voice tells me. I open my eyes and there she is. She's here. Standing directly in front of me. I close my eyes again. "No." She says quickly, causing me to reopen them. "I want you to see me." She says as her eyes scan my face. I'm still debating whether or not this is real. "This is real." She whispers. "I'm real."