Friends, Lovers or Nothing

"I'm not going to tell you again." I suck my teeth and cross my arms over my chest; slouching in my seat. I've tried everything I could to get out of this lunch. I'm not even apart of the band, why would I attend a celebratory lunch for the band? It doesn't matter how many times I present this argument to Ashley, she still tells me the same thing.

"If it weren't for you we wouldn't even have had this audition." Yeah that's what she's been telling me. Then I'll tell her.

"Technically, it was my mother that got you the audition so you should be bringing her to lunch."

"We can pick her up if you like." She tells me with a smirk.

"No!" I shout, shooting up in my seat.

"Alright then stop bugging me, it'll be fun what else do you have to do?"

Not a damn thing.

"A bunch of stuff." I say still holding my pout.

"Like?" She inquires testing me.

Nosey much?

"Like stuff and things." I say slowly, not being able to come up with anything. Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up. Besides maybe it'll be fun. Yeah no, I don't believe that either. Anything with Ashley that's fun, makes me fall further, thus leading to guilt so no. Anything with Ashley equals zero fun.

"Yeah sounds important."

"It is." I mumble and she pouts.

"Come on Spencer I want you to meet the band."

"Why?" I ask genuinely curious. Why is it so important that I meet them? Like officially meet them.

Apparently Ashley isn't sure for herself as she stammers for an answer. "Because they're great people and you'd really like them." Her eyes stay forward as we drive to the diner they usually occupy and have become well known. I look at her with narrowed eyes and she does a double take. "Stop looking at me like that it's weird." I don't stop. She shifts in her seat, clearly uncomfortable. "Spencer quit it."

"Tell me the real reason and I'll stop." I say as I lean closer to her. She moves closer to her door apparently uncomfortable with my gaze.

"Fine! You're important to me and I want them to meet you."

My eyes become normal again. That wasn't the answer I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting to be honest. But it most certainly wasn't that.

"Oh." Is all I manage to say.

Oh, hey awkward silence you're back! Long time no see. No I did not miss you, but thanks for asking.

I sit properly in my seat once again and am relieved when Ashley pulls up to the curb.

Ronnie's Diner. I read the sign to myself. I've never been here but clearly these guys have, since they have the whole back corner of the diner to themselves.

The rest of the band is already seated. I'd say it's my fault it took us so long to get here... Ashley had to drag me out of the building and then shove me into the car.

No I'm serious.

I really didn't want to come.

I hate going somewhere when I know only one person, but they know everyone. They'll tell jokes that I don't get, or talk about things that don't interest me. It makes me uncomfortable, but Ashley insisted and well I'm a weakling and can't say no to anyone.

I hate not having a backbone.

They all cheer once they see the leader of the band and the drummer kicks out a chair for her.