Nightmare

Nightmare

In the summer of 2012 I had gotten a job working as a cashier. I got good pay it was a great life until they put me on overnights. At first I didn't seemed to mind doing them. I actually liked working all night long but I began to get very stressed out. I began seeing things happen that to most people would seem absolutely wonderful but I was bitter and hated what I saw. A friend of mine named Heather was getting engaged and everyone was extremely excited and happy for her. I however was feeling hurt but I wasn't mad at her in particular but it's anybody who gets engaged or married.

I always feel either sad and lonely or I get extremely angry and have the intentions on saying things so mean and horrid that it could ruin my friendship with her. Heather and I had been friends despite the fact I had a grudge against a friend of hers (Bethany) who got married on the exact day of my graduation party.

Heather always forgave me so I felt bad and decided to congratulate her because I didn't want to say anything that would ruin our friendship or hurt Heather's feelings. This was when things began to get off for me. I was always angry, yelling at my cousins and other family members for no apparent reason. I was acting really nasty. Then one night after a long day at work, I went to sleep on the couch. Since that time, I'll never be able to see Heather the same way ever again.

I went to sleep and the next morning I woke up. My mother had obviously gone off to work. It was a beautiful day and the sun shown through my living room window. However as I went outside, everything around me changed. The neighborhood looked abandoned. Houses had been boarded up and some were even demolished. The strangest thing was that when I went outside, the blue sky suddenly turned grey. I went by my workplace to see if anyone needed my help. But as I got there, it was all boarded up. There was no sign of my boss or my co-workers. I saw a big sentence written on the side of the building that simply said the end is near. The initials were HM, TW and CE. Strangely these were the initials of my co-workers.

I walked across town and it was completely deserted. Cars were everywhere and they had dust all over them. Grass had been overgrown, it was some very scary stuff. Buildings were all boarded up and it made me kinda scared. I came across the high school I just graduated from a few months back. The front doors were opened so I just went inside. But the lights were either dimmed or burned out. I walked down the music hall I always went down to get to my classes which is the very hallway I was always hanging around after school with play rehearsal when I was in the spring school play. I went into the auditorium. Inside it looked like a play rehearsal was going on so I thought I would come in to watch. But as I looked at everyone, they all looked dead.

I thought that couldn't be the case. Maybe they're just thinking of what they had to say for the next scene. It was a rehearsal for my senior play "Witness for the prosecution." I saw myself just sitting next to my co-actor Tuan. I looked at myself and then I looked at Tuan. We were just still and our skins were cold as ice.

I saw my other friends Jeremy, Robyn, Mary, Courtney, Marissa, James and the rest of the cast who played the characters. They were either on lying on the ground or just frozen. I kept saying their names. I even tried shouting at them. No one replied. I knew something was strange. Then I heard a creaking and crackling sound. Every actor one by one starting with their skin just cracking and turning to dust. I was absolutely horrified. Then my body that was next to Tuan started staring at me. I stared back at my dead self and I ran out as fast as I could.

As I got outside, daytime was suddenly night. There were no street lights, not a single shed of light. It was completely dark and I could barely see. I walked down the street and I saw a building lit up in the distance. I went towards it and it was what used to be Tim Hortons, now an empty building. There were no chairs, no counters, just a plain empty building. I was now more scared than ever. Oh if someone, anyone was there to help me. I began to cry softly. I missed my friends more than ever. Then I heard another person crying. It sounded like a girl around my age. She was crying on the side of the building holding another person in her arms.

From what I could make out from the distance, the girl looked like my friend Heather who had recently gotten engaged. I was so relieved to see her that every ounce of bitterness in me just vanished. As I rushed over to see her, the person she was holding disappeared into dust and Heather then began to cry louder than ever.

"Sweetheart! My precious sweetheart!" Heather screamed as I as asked her what was wrong.

"Heather, I know why you're sad. You're not alone I'm your friend and I'm here for you." I told her as I put my arm around her and wiped her tears.

Heather looked at me for a moment. I thought to myself, "Heather survived, with her help we can restore humanity and see if we could find some more survivors." Boy was I wrong. Instead of going with me across town to look for survivors, Heather began laughing. At first she sounded like her sweet giggle she gives when ever I tell her a funny joke but then she began evil laughing. The evil laugh didn't sound like acting nor did it sound like her. Heather sounded demonic and very loud. Her pupils dilated and her eyes looked like those of a snake. She turned to me as I backed away from her.

"Now you realize what's really going on!" Heather told me. No, it couldn't be! She was the one responsible for all of my friends being gone!

"That's right Riley! I thought you were my friend! You said some of the most hurtful things about my best friend Bethany! It was her wedding Riley and you were selfish. But even your friends who showed up just weren't enough were they? Well now they are no longer with you! I'm not responsible Riley, you are! You really are that bitter love hater aren't you?" Heather growled at me after she said that in her very dark demonic voice.

Suddenly her fingernails began to get longer almost like claws. Her teeth sharpened and she began to rise up with the wings of a grasshopper. Heather chased me down and I ran as fast as I could. I ran into an old building that was once the dollar tree. In the empty store, I saw Heather's three other sisters Casey, Camille and Maddy. They all just stared and I tried to tell them about what happened to Heather. Casey took out some earplugs and plugged her ears and Maddy began screaming like a demon. Oh gosh the sound of her just piercing my eardrum. I tried to escape but the door disappeared.

Then Bethany, Heather's best friend showed up with her husband Doug. They both smiled a creepy stare at me. Then Bethany ran her fingers down my cheek and then grabbed hold of my arm. She began squeezing my arm tighter and tighter. I begged her to let go of me. "Bethany please stop it! Ow!" Bethany didn't say anything. She started digging her nails into my skin and I kept begging her to let me go but Bethany wasn't going anywhere. She just gave my arm one final tug until she broke and snapped my bone. My right arm was just hanging, it could no longer function. Then Doug was about to do something. I wasn't going to let him hurt me like Bethany did. Doug tried to grab hold of my neck but before he could do so, I bit his wrist and then I was able to free myself from them. I could only think to myself, is this my karma? Is this their revenge on me? Why would my friends want to do this to me? Next thing I knew Casey was face to face with me. But her eyes were pitched black.

There was no color in her eyes and then they suddenly turned red as she finally said "Why Riley? Why?" Suddenly the roof top flew off and Heather stared down at me with her supernatural snake-like eyes and said to me "this is your fault Riley! You hurt our feelings and now we're getting you back!" The next thing I knew I woke up. Too scared to move away from the couch. My cat Jasper was lying beside me and I held him close so I didn't feel so scared. It was only a nightmare and I had never felt so relieve.

Thank goodness, the nightmare was over! As I began catching my breath, I heard a sweet giggle and someone say my name. As I went towards my room, I saw a shadow passed over me. I looked outside my door... It was a girl standing there staring at me with a very demonic creepy stare. But I couldn't make out what it was. That was when the shadow charged at me. Next thing I knew I woke up with a startle but I was in my bed. To this day I wonder, how did I end up in my bed in the first place; wasn't I sleeping on the couch?