chapter 2 = reaping

warning: contains mild language :-) ~ KT

that week went all to quickly. before I knew it we were stood in the square again. we had to stand with our parents and if their name was cooled they would walk us uip to the stage and leave us there with Effie. while they played the video mum whispered to me

" I bet I'll get picked. all my life I've had bad luck. I'm so sorry sweetheart. you and t ...."

"we shall start with the mother's" said Effie. even she looked sad as she walked to the glass pool. we were all thinking the same thing. babies and toddlers could end up in these games.

" please may.... " the pause was killing us "please may Angelica jesson bring your children to the stage.

the crowd fell silent. Angelica had 5 kids. 16 year old twins belle and odet , 14 year old Caz , 13 year old jema and 11 year old hayam. all would be going into the games. probably none coming out. Angelica collapsed on the floor in sobs and the kids had to walk to the stage thereselves.

"please applaud the jesson family" said effie. as always in district 12 we didn't applaud. we saluted.

" now for the men." Effie dipped her hand in the pool , stirring it round. she hated this. feeling responsible for these kids fate.

"pelt halden"

shit. I forgot about dad.

"pelt halden , where are you?"

"in the mines " said a voice. I didn't even realize for a few seconds that it was mine. "lost on duty, lost in the mines" I said. no emotion in my voice atall .

"okay , come up please miss halden" said Effie . swiftly I shoved T back into the family behind and glared at the mother. she nodded. I prayed none of the peace keepers saw that. I walked up totghe stage and stood there. "only child are you? " said Effie. "unusual..."

"no" said a peacekeeper holding a book. "halden has another daughter , teagen aged 10"

I glared at teagen. praying she wouldn't move.

"that's urrgh me... " said a voice. a girl stepped forward. omg. it was my best friend Mabel.

"you look older than ten" frowned a Peacekeeper.

"I'm big for my age, i wasnt stood with mum and Aubrey coz I lost them.

"teagen" I breathed , trying to make this look real.

Mabel ran onstage and clang to me , like a little sister would. like teagen would.

"well that's settled than. one last applaud for the district 12 tributes." said effie . the crowd saluted as we were shut behind the doors.