Chapter Three

I raced to my bed at the sound of my phone ringing, hoping that it was a message from Scott. I couldn't help the wave of disappointment that washed over me as it was only Madison.

"Hey P. How's it going? I just got back from the most amazing date ever! Felix took me to the pier and won me the absolute cutest teddy bear I have ever seen in my entire life and of course I'm going to name him Felix after the cutest guy I have ever seen in my entire life and then-" I pretty much zoned out for most of that conversation since it is one I have heard so many times before, once she gets started on the subject of Felix Hale, she won't stop. I am kind of annoyed that she didn't even pause after asking how I was for an answer, I wish there were someone else she could gush about her boyfriend to.

She was like this even before they got together, although it was far tamer and didn't borderline with obsessed. You would think that with how in love they are right now that they have an adorable, romantic story of how they got together but it was as simple as her asking him out after a fews working up the courage to do so and they have been joined at the hip ever since.

"-you and Scott?" Those words pulled me back into the previously one-sided conversation.

"What about me and Scott?" She giggled at the sudden enthusiasm in my voice before replying.

"We were thinking of having a double date with you and Scott, it could help you guys with finally getting together~ Please don't hate me for this but I told Felix how you feel about him and he said Scott feels the same way."

I couldn't help the squeal that escaped my lips. I seriously can't believe that the guy I have had the biggest crush on, the most gorgeous guy in all of England likes me back. Me! Me, the clumsy artist who doesn't own a single pair of jeans that are not coated with spatters of paint. Me, the quiet writer who day dreamed her way through secondary school. Me, the short brunette who always sleeps through her alarm and rushes through her daily hair and makeup routine that never ends up quite right. Me, the girl who isn't athletic or pretty or popular or... Basically the complete opposite of his ex girlfriend Libby. Why would he want me when he used to have her? Talk about a downgrade.

"Paige? Paige Walker? Are you still there?" I jumped, her voice startling me out of my insecurities. I felt bad for the worry in her voice as I scrambled to come up with a confident reply.

"That sounds fine, no good, no great. When were you thinking of having it?"

"Felix made reservations at the most perfect and romantic place in all of Brighton, but it's not for two weeks. We thought it could also be a kind of celebration after our first fortnight of being year twelves."

"Sounds great! By the way, do you think we could meet up before school starts again?"

Just by the pause I knew she couldn't.

"I'm sorry P, I have plans with Felix for the next three days. I'll definitely walk to school with you on our first day back and we can catch up properly then?"

I kept my tone neutral as to not make her feel bad for not being able to hang out as I agreed to meet her then and we said our goodbyes.

I flopped down onto my bed when she hung up and noticed the little text icon showed few new messages from Scott.

From: Scott ❤
Sent: 17:01

hey P, something came up that will keep me busy for the next few days so maybe some other time xx

From: Scott ❤
Sent: 17:49

we can still hang out anytime after school starts though, just you and me xx

From: Scott ❤
Sent: 18.09

I guess you are probably busy right now so I'll message you sometime tomorrow xx

The time on my phone read 19:18, with the first message he sent being a few seconds after I had answered the phone. Damn it. I hadn't realised with all my zoning out that I had been on the phone with Madison for over two hours. I bit my lip as I began to type my reply.