Chapter 3

“Welcome to the year 3010, where you never have to die! And if you do, well, you just come back to life with a little magic!” A voice said from inside the elevator. Annie and I looked at each other, humor in our eyes. When the elevator door opened, so did our mouths. Except, our mouths, they opened wide... really wide. 

“Whoa!” we both said, staring at our surroundings.

All of the buildings were made of glass, and so tall that you couldn’t see the top of them! And the people! They were all talking to each other, and smiling! Happily! Every one of all ethnic groups, color, size! “Hey! My names Drake! What’s yours?” asked a boy from behind me. I spun around, and what I saw made my already stopped heart, stop even more. The boy named Drake had dark chestnut hair, and eyes so blue and so deep, I felt like I was drowning in them. “Uh-um-my-my-my name-is-um…” I looked around, trying to remember what my name was. I felt like a pile of mush. And when I looked down, that pile of mush just got mushier. Drake had taken off his jacket, to reveal… a six-pack! “Oh, my gawd.” I breathed out, still staring down at his chest. 

“Um… your… name?” Drake asked, smiling at me. I blinked a couple times, and remembered my name. 

“Oh…. Right… Sorry… Just got a… Little… Distracted… My name’s… umm… Nicky…” I whispered, with a giggle at the end.

Drake smiled at me, his teeth so white they hurt my eyes. “So, Nicky, are you… new… here?” he asked, staring at me, he eyes seeming to have deepened.

“Yeah… um… I’m from… the-the past.” I mumbled, sighing. I felt like I had too much to drink, and I started to sway a little. 

“Really? Me too! My mom is sick, and I wanted to find a cure for her sickness…” he answered back, eyes sad. My eyelids fluttered, and my head started to cloud up. 

“What time are you from?” I asked, voice slightly slurred. Drake looked at me in confusion, then smiled. 

“A time near yours. But don’t worry about that.” And so I didn’t. In fact, all worrying and wondering went completely out of my head! I smiled, and kept that way until Annie, who I managed to somehow forget, nudged me out of haze. 

“Um Nicky? We gotta go. Bye...” Annie trailed off as if she forgot Drakes name. 

“Drake.” He replied helpfully. 

“I knew that.” Annie answered back, and pulled me away.

“He. Was so. HOT!” I giggled again after saying that, a smile creeping on my face. Annie slapped me as I kept on giggling, and I touched my cheek gently. “What was that for?!” I yelled angrily, wincing from the pain. Annie looked at me and smiled mischievously. 

“Well, it’s just a little technique I learned to, you know, get people back to this world! Not some flipping girly-girl world full of giggles! We’ve got work to do remember?! We need to find a solution to get you and your dad alive again!” she said, her voice getting louder and louder with each word. 

“Shh! I just said that because it hurts! I’m not brain dead for God’s sake! I remember why we’re here! He was just really, really, REALLY smokin’ hot! I mean, I couldn’t help but be distracted...” I mumbled, looking at the ground. Then, all of a sudden, my vision went blurry and I quickly grabbed Annie’s hand.

“What’s happening?!” she yelled, the unseen wind roaring in our ears. 

“I don’t know!” I yelled back. “It feels like someone is trying to bring us back to our time, or earlier, by force! We have to fight it!” Annie looked at me with wide eyes.