Prologue

“Momma,” I choked out, throat tight with pain, “I love you!” My mom looked at me, glistening tears sliding down her soft tan cheeks. I knew I’d have to let go sooner or later, but I needed to make sure my last moment was as good as I could make it.

“I love you too baby.” My mom whispered, kissing me on the forehead, “I love you more than anything in the world!” I smiled weakly at her; flinching at the pain that one small task gave me. 

“I know momma, and I’m sorry, but please don’t worry about me. Somehow, I know everything will be fine. And anyway, I’ll see dad up there! Well, maybe.” I laughed a little, and then stopped when I saw my mom’s tears coming down faster and bigger. I wanted to reach out and comfort her, but I couldn’t move that much in fear of the pain. 

“Maybe-” I knew what my mom wanted to say, and so I had to cut off all her hope before she broke too much. 

“No mom. I…. It’s too late. I’m lucky to still be alive now! But, of course, fairy tales have to end somewhere now don’t they?” I sat up and my head started to hurt and I started to get dizzy. I felt something creeping up my throat, and my mom grabbed the nearest trash can and put it under my mouth as fast as she could, except that wasn’t fast enough. Blood spewed from my mouth, spraying on my hospital clothes and bed. My eyes started to have black spots in them, and my mom called for help.

I heard the doctors over me, trying to tell me that I’ll be okay. It’s just a little blood. But, I knew that wasn’t the truth. I kept throwing up, and my throat started to burn soon, from the pain. When I was done, I laid down from so much blood loss. “I lov-” But I couldn’t finish what I was about to say, because I fell into the blackness and this time, I didn’t have even an ounce of strength to fight it. I was set into a dream that well, I wouldn’t awake from. At least not… Alive.