Chapter 2

“Hey Cece and Annie... how are you all doing?” I whispered to my two best friends. They stared at me, eyes wide with fear and surprise. 

“Nicky? Nicky is that really you? Oh I missed you!” Cece yelled, running to me. Annie caught her right before she reached me, her eyes steely. 

“No Cece. Nicky is dead. She is, gone. I don’t know who is playing us, but whoever it is, has some real issues. I know you miss Nicky, because I do too. I still cry over her being gone, every single night. But you cannot believe that this is Nicky. I’m sorry, but it’s true. Now scram.” Annie said the last part to me, but I just stood there, hurt and confused. 

“But Annie, it is me. If you don’t believe that, I’ll tell you something only we three would know. Cece has a tattoo of a heart on her um… well, you know. And you have a birthmark the size of China on your thigh. Plus, when we were only six, we made up a secret handshake that lasted three minutes and never forgot it. We can do it now to prove I’m not lying about me being me.” I whispered, putting my hand out. Annie and Cece looked at me as if they were seeing a ghost. Which, I guess they were. 

“It’s…. It’s okay. I believe you. No one else would know that kind of thing. But, how are you here? You- you- you died! We all went to your funeral!” Annie exclaimed, holding onto Cece.

“I couldn’t have died silly’s! How else would I be here? I’d have to be a like, ghost or something! And if I was a ghost, could I do this?” then I put my hand in both of their hands and squeezed. Annie stood with her mouth twitching, and Cece just stared at the clouds overhead. Those were the ways the two thought. After what felt like years, they finally decided to believe me. 

“Okay Nicky.” Cece whispered, still staring up at the sky. “We’ve missed you too much to say anything else.” And then the two embraced me, and it was like on TV when all the people say ‘Awwww’ when something adorable happens. And everything was perfect, well, up until Cece saw my bracelet. “Oh. My. God. Where did you get that hot piece of jewelry?!” Cece asked as she grabbed it off my wrist. She turned around to study my bracelet in better light, eyes away from me. For now at least.

I felt myself disappear from regular human eyes, and I felt my wings reappear. Hopefully, no one here would have the sight. Otherwise, I’d be in even more trouble than I already am. “Nicky? NICKY! WHERE ARE YOU?!” yelled Cece, looking frantically around. I let out a deep breath, willing my bracelet to reappear on my arm. But I had no such luck. 

“Nicky...?” breathed out Annie. I jumped back, startled, because I had forgotten she was there. “Whoa… You’re beautiful!” Cece turned around at that, and I stood straight as a tree, hoping she didn’t see me. 

“Who are you talking to?” asked Cece to Annie. I made my eyes wide and whispered, 

“Don’t tell her I’m here. Try and get her to go! And please get me back my bracelet!” Annie just blinked, but I knew she heard me. 

“Hey Cece? Nicky said she had to go. Umm, family business… or something. But, I’ll see her later, so can I have her bracelet to bring back to her?” Annie asked, voice shaking. I had forgotten how bad she was at lying.  

Cece looked at her curiously, and just rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Here, take her bracelet. And tell Nicky to call me or whatever, whenever she can. Okay?” Annie nodded, so Cece gave her the bracelet than left. I held out my arm, and asked for Annie to put my bracelet back on it. She did, and I instantly reappeared. 

“ You’re- you’re- you’re…. DEAD!” Annie stuttered, eyes wide and wet. 

“Yes.” I sighed out, looking down. “But, you and my mom are the only people who can see me when I’m… in the other… form. And maybe some other people, but I don’t know who they are.” Annie started shaking, and I touched her shoulder gently to try and calm her, ending up in only making her shakes worse.