Chapter 54: Sayonara

Tezuka's POV

"Nanako-san, how is she?" Tezuka asked Nanako as she led him inside the house. There were a lot of people going in and out of the Echizen home.

"She's still in her room. She hasn't eaten anything since last night, not even Ryoma or Nanjiroh ojii-san can make her leave her room or touch the food we put beside her door." Nanako weakly answered, tears threatening to fall from her red and puffy eyes.

"Can I try to talk to her?" Tezuka asked.

"Of course, I hope she listens to you." Nanako said with a sigh.

Tezuka thanked her and noticed how tired looking she was. Aside from her puffy eyes which might have been because she had been crying really hard, Nanako was trying her best to keep a hold of herself since she was the one taking care of the arrangements and the guests, with the help of Dr. Hibayashi and his family.

--

He reached the door to Ryaka's room and knocked. He heard a few movements but Ryaka didn't open the door.

"Rye, its me." He said as he continued to knock softly.

Silence answered him. He dropped his hand and figured that Ryaka must want some time alone but he's worried because Nanako said that she hasn't eaten anything since last night.

He sat down in the hallway and leaned at her door. "Rye, I know I may not fully understand how you feel right now, but I just want you to know that I'm here for you." He whispered. His heart is breaking for her, he knows how hard this is for Ryaka and it hurts him that he can't do anything to ease her pain.

He was sitting there for over an hour when Ryoma came up the stairs, carrying a tray of food for Ryaka. He stood up to face Ryoma with a sorrowful face "I'm sorry for your loss." He said in a low voice, almost like a whisper. Ryoma lowered his head and placed the tray of food in the cart near Ryaka's door, retrieving the previous tray with untouched food.

Ryoma stopped just as he was about to get past him. "Please be her pillar of support" was what he said and continued to go down the stairs with sadness evident in his eyes.

----------------

Ryaka's POV