Part 8

*~*

We were about to cross into Dan's kingdom when we took a break from walking and sat in one of the wagons.

"You know... I rather fancy your baggy clothes over Chris's." I laughed at his silliness as he leaned on me. "We'll be there in no time! We shall help the merchants settle first, then I must attend to something's involving my step-siblings, so I'll have Adeline hang with you for a bit, and then I will show you around and we will have an amazing t-" He let out a little screech as we came to and immediate stop, causing me to almost topple over the edge of the wood. "What's going on?"

We hopped out the wagon and saw a man standing before the merchants, wearing a royal uniform, looking bellow him in disgust. The merchants surrounded him except for a spot they left open for us at the front, knowing this was going to happen and that we were going to change it.

"Here ye, here ye!" He spoke in a monotone voice. "By order of the royal family, you are to leave this land with all your wares." He waved his hand dismissively at us.

"But it's the trade festival..." Dan spoke softly, then louder. "We just want to trade!"

"Why you little-" His hand flew before I could stop it, and a loud slap echoed as those around us gasped.

Dan's head was turned away from me, and I tried to get him to look at me so I could see the damage when a dark laugh escaped him, causing everyone to take a step back from him except for the royal scribe. His head turned to the man slowly, and I saw three things. One, the red mark covering the side of his face. Two, an almost evil half grin, half sneer graced his face. Three, his eyes were squinted in one of the fiercest glares I've ever saw.

"How dare you touch the one's whose feet you should be kissing, much less slap!" His voice started soft, but grew louder and firmer. "To find this is how you treat the guests of our kingdom? Preposterous!" He's walked up to the continuously shrinking man. "Who has sent you here?"

"I'll never tell!" His words came out all but a squeak. He realized upon further inspection under the clothes of a servant lie a royal.

"Guards!" I called for the guards whom I moved to the back. "For laying a harmful hand upon this royal, I request you to hold him until we get to this kingdom's guard."

"But, sire, we have no power here..." The scribe heard and let out a sharp laugh.

"This man is to be arrested, and put into the pit until his confession of whom led him to do such against the royal family and our guests. You do have power here as far as I'm concerned." Dan spoke and walked back towards me, his face relaxing considerably. "This is the time we should change to our royal uniforms."

*~*

We walked in the stiff uniforms of our royal families as we entered the village surrounding the palace. Though I've been here multiple times, it felt so different this time. I was wearing one of my best royal uniforms, followed by a prisoner, and how could I possibly forget my wonderful, but currently secret, fiancée standing by my side.

As we got to the busier streets, more people looked to us in awe and surprise; some even cheered. We paraded to a raised platform which faced another.

"Take the prisoner to the lift over there, please." Dan spoke as he ascended the stairs of the one before us. "Come hither, Philip."

Two of the guards went with the scribe while the other two followed behind us, more guards joining around the stage as they saw us from their routes. The people gathered around us, readying for words from their prince. Dan put his hand up and the congregation turned deadly silent.

"In the morrow is when our trade festival usually begins, but this year is to be different. This year we caught the messenger of those who wish to see our kingdom's demise!" He waved his arm towards the trembling scribe. "And myself and Prince Philip have brought merchants from his kingdom whom are willing to trade." The crowd cheered. "We are to greet them with kindness and respect as they set up, and stay for the festival. We will find those who are against our kingdom, but for now, we celebrate in fellowship!" He grabbed my hand and flung it up in the air along with his other, so I followed suit, smiling at him as he stared to his subjects who were roaring with excitement.

We raced down the steps, still hand in hand, until we reached the merchants. "Follow me! We got plenty of open spaces for you all!" We walked to a large open field, losing some of the townspeople along the way. We still haven't broke our hands apart and I was hoping we wouldn't at all, but we were to help the merchants set up.

*~*

I was finally reunited with Dan once more, talking excitedly as people started shopping about at the multiple vendors.

"This is amazing, Phil!"

"Oh, my!" We turned to a woman at one of the booths. "This is exquisite fabric! Don't tell me you've made this yourself?"

"Oh, no, I couldn't possibly! My wife made these patterns and my daughter actually made these fabrics."

"These are just... Brilliant! You should be proud! I think I'll buy some of these."

"I am and thank you!"

We looked to each other, grinning, and I was immediately hit by two things. One, love for the boy in front of me, and two, said boy jumping on me for a bear hug.

"We did it!" His head was tucked into the crease of my neck as his appendages gripped me tightly.

"Uh... Young... Sires?" A voice spoke behind m so I immediately turned, causing Dans grip to tighten slightly, leading me to grip onto him. Our position was somewhat awkward so we shuffled a bit before we were both able to look at the guard while still hugging each other. The guard saluted to us before speaking again. "You're requested at the castle by the Queen's orders."

"Oh, yes, thank you. We'll head right there..." I was looking at the guard when I felt eyes boring into me from the boy in my arms, so I looked down, but only after he cleared his throat. "Uh, Phil..."

"Hmm?"

"That means you should start walking..."

"Oh, right!" I hopped a little, getting a better grip on Dan, then followed the guard towards the castle. Along the way I whispered to him. "Do you think this is weird? I feel like people would question why the heir to the throne is hanging off the heir of another throne like a wee child..."

"Shut up!" He groaned silently. "You're comfy..."

"What would your parents say?" I asked in a half mocking voice.

"Well what would yours say? They'd probably freak out a bit and say 'Welcome new son' with open arms then tackle you when you're too slow to react." His parents and mine are to get along fine.

"Wow..."

"Yep..." He popped the 'p' before we fell into silence.