Part 7

*~Time Skip (Weekend of the Trade Fair/Ball)~*

I started singing off key as Dan and I packed to head to his kingdom. "We're going to go to the festival! The festival! The kingdom's festival!"

Dan laughed at me lightly. "Shut up, Phil!"

"Make me," I stuck my tongue out at him and he went as if he was going to bite it, so I drew it in quickly. "How dare you so such a thing?"

"You're the one who said 'make me!'"

"Aw, shush." I kissed him quickly; a peck. "Don't forget your ring."

He was wearing it currently, but to keep the engagement secret until the ball, he had to hide it within his luggage.

"I know, I know!" We continued packing our things and it was almost time to go when Dan started singing a little. He turned to me and put his arms out as if motioning to something amazing. "Sugar-pie honey bunch... You know that I love you..." He came towards me and wrapped his arms loosely around my neck. "I can't help myself... I love you, " He pecked my lips, "And nobody else..."

He smiled sweetly at me, leaning in for another kiss. That was, until we heard the door opening. Then we unwillingly broke apart and looked to the five figures coming into the room. Two of them were my parents who had knowing smiles on their faces; the smiles they kept on for the duration of the time that Dan stayed here. The other three were PJ and Chris, neither of which knew yet, and their bouncing baby boy.

"Agh! You're leaving already!" Chris tackled Dan in a hug while PJ rocked the child.

"I'll be back for the masque, don't worry!"

"But still! You'll eventually have to leave again and the castle will just have this... Emptiness." PJ piped in.

I spoke out, "Now don't you all worry! I'll drag this boy back kicking and screaming if I need to." I put my arm around his shoulder and squeezed in a teasing manner.

"Like you would need to drag me! I'd be the one dragging you back so that we can find the rest of those passages!" Dan retorted sassily. He walked to PJ and their boy, Avian. "May I hold Av once more before we leave?"

"Of course!" PJ whispered, waiting until Dan cradled his arms before transferring the babe. Dan cooed silently, walking around our room before resting lightly on the bed.

"You sure you two got everything?" My mother spoke questioningly.

"Don't worry so much, you worry wart! We're fine, and if nothing else, we're going to his kingdom!"

"Without soldiers! Don't you want any to protect what's important?" She was gazing over at Dan; she's grown quite fond of him and they've bonded through wedding planning. I glanced at him, him speaking gibberish to the laughing babe.

"Four... Two before the caravan and two after. They are to protect the group as a whole though I doubt we'll get much trouble. Dan and I are borrowing some of Chris and Peej's clothes so we blend in more until we get there. We're taking all possible precautions."

"That's my boy!" My father spoke rather loudly, causing the laughter to end and crying to ensue.

"Aw, shush shush shush..." Dan rocked Avian in his arms, calming him almost instantly.

"Oh yes, and that. How can you calm him down so easily?" PJ sat by him, chatting quietly.

"Sorry... But you're going to be a great ruler, my son."

"Thank you, father."

"I don't mind to interrupt, but may I speak to you quickly Phil?" Chris broke in.

"Sure." We walked out into the hallway, closing the thick, wooden door. "What'd you want to talk about?"

"You're in love!" He said in a singsong voice.

"What?" I had to act confused; I wasn't going to let anything out before the ball.

"You're in love." I kept the confused look. "With Dan..." I tilted my head. "Oh, come on! Don't tell me this is all just platonic!"

"I don't know what you're talking about, mate, but we need to get going." I headed into the room while Chris groaned loudly behind me. "Ready, Dan?" He had given Avian back to PJ whom was feeding the child, and was standing before my parents.

"Yep! We just need to load our trunk and bags."

"Well, we better head on our way. Avian is going to have to sleep after this. Travel safely!" PJ drug Chris out the room after him.

"We'll meet you two outside, but remember you must hurry." My parents walked out the room, closing the door behind them.

"This will be the last of the time we have together until we return, you know that?"

"Well your room shall give us privacy, shouldn't it?"

"Needn't I remind you that I share a room-"

"With your brother!" I took his hands in mine. "So this is the last we get to be obvious until we return and announce the engagement..." I looked down to him, not moving.

He unclasped our hands and stood on his tippy-toes, somewhat wrapping his arms around my neck. He was still reasonably shorter than me though, and I could see annoyance on his features while he made kissy lips at me. "You could at least bend down!"

I obliged, and connected our lips in a loving kiss. His lips were slightly chapped but they were soft nonetheless; their taste was something that I felt I'd never get used to but would never forget. "I love you," I mumbled against them.

"I love you, too."