A Rainy Summer 26

~Chapter (26)~

              Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote: ‘There is no privacy that cannot be penetrated. No secret can be kept in the civilized world. Society is a masked ball, where everyone hides his real character, and reveals it by hiding.’

               Society is definitely a masked ball. There is no arguing about it. Everyone tries to put a great disguise –to guarantee the approval of others. We aspire to have someone else’s beauty, body, hair, teeth. . . .And we end up being utter copycats.    

               There is an anonymity and a uniformity to a masked ball, a homogeneous atmosphere which makes all look and sound somewhat the same. This environment destroys our true identity, and eliminates our individual personality.

               The truth is, we hide from everything that we fear. Run away from our problems, instead of facing them. Therefore, we wrap ourselves with a master lie, and convince our guilty conscious with a mountain of excuses.

But as Ralph Emerson said, we reveal the lies by hiding. No matter how hard we try, our expressions –our slips expose us. Because, deep down inside. And even if we deny it, we want to be exposed.

               Mason sat silently as I explained everything to him, he didn’t make a sound. I told him all about my sickness, my medications, my diet, and my hospital visits to Stephen. I have absolutely no idea why I did it, he didn’t ask for any details –just an clarification of my possession of those pills. I guess, I had been always waiting for a chance to let it all out. Like a volcano awaiting for its rupture.

              “Mason?”

              I didn’t receive a respond from Mason. I watched as he breathed heavily while staring down at his clasped hands.

               Did he hate me for lying to him? Is he mad?

               Will he run away from me because of my disease, like Haley did?

               Will he ever talk to me again?  

               What if he told Liam? I will lose them both!

               Suddenly, the horrible thought invaded my mind. Panic washed all over me as I gazed at Mason’s slightly shaking body. I couldn’t bear the thought of losing both of them. Although, I had only met them about a month ago, I cared about them. They were my friends, and I never wanted to cause them any harm. I wanted them to stay in my life, even after I go back to New York –back to Julliard.    

                “Mason, please say something. . .” I said, begging for him to speak. To end this long session of giving me the silent treatment.

                “I am really sorry. . .I . .I didn’t want you to get hurt. . .I –”

                Out of the blue, a hand got a hold of my wrist. In a few seconds, I was pulled out of the diner. Mason was taking large steps while he grasped my hand with great force. We were heading towards the park, and I was having trouble in taking regular breathes.

                “Mason, stop!”

                “Please, Mason! I’m tired!” I cried out, catching my breath. “Please. . .”

                Instantly, Mason dropped my hand. He turned to check on me, and for the first time his blue eyes locked with mine. His face showed signs of distress and concern.