A Rainy Summer 15

~Chapter(15)~

“Selena, are you okay now?” Liam’s charming voice echoed in my ears, it was full of worry and concern. He was sitting right next to me with a half-full glass of water, my hands were too shaky to hold the icy glass. Liam literally held the glass to my lips, and stroke my back slightly when I couldn’t swallow preventing another case of choking. I took a quick glance at him, he was staring right back at me with a very caring expression. Liam was so good to me, he treated me in a way- one would treat a best friend or a family member. It was amazing how we have only just met less than two weeks ago.

I was about to respond to Liam’s question, and tell him that I was perfectly fine. But then, my phone started ringing all over again, causing me to panic once more. I gazed at the screen with pure shock.

“Selena?” Liam looked at me, furrowing his eyebrows.

“What is it?” he asked. “Who is calling you? Is it one of your parents?”

Shivering, I shook my head and wrapped Liam’s warm leather jacket tightly around my cold body.

“Then who is it, Selena?” Liam questioned in a demanding tone, placing both of his strong hands on my trembling shoulders. “Tell me,” he insisted, using one of his long strapping fingers to lift up my petite chin, forcing me to face him.

“Tell me,” he whispered softly, his oceanic blue eyes gaze locked with my hazel ones.

“I…It-it’s…..H-Haley,” I struggled choking out the words.

“Haley? Your best friend Haley? the one you got detached from?” Liam queried ,a surprised expression crossed his face.

I nodded after glancing back at my phone.

“Why aren’t you answering the phone? Don’t you miss her, Selena? Don’t you miss speaking to your best friend?”

“We haven’t talked to each other in more than three month,” I told him.

Liam shrugged. “I don’t see how is that relevant. Your friend- whom you haven’t spoken to for a long time- is calling you; I think you should answer that phone without even thinking about it,” Liam articulated.

“You don’t understand, Liam. It’s not that easy. I am not ready to have that conversation with her, that conversation we had put off a few month ago. I can’t just pick up and say hi, I just can’t!” 

Instantly, Liam pulled me closer to him and hugged me. Our sudden closeness had a very soothing effect. It made me feel better immediately. His exquisite scent engulfed me, providing a great amount of positive feelings. I breathed in some of his wonderful cologne, and snuggled closer into his sculptured chest. A sensation of contentment and happiness washed all over me.

“Calm down,” Liam whispered gently into my ears. “You are strong. You can do it, Selena.”

I missed Haley more than anything in the world, and I have been longing to hear her joyful friendly voice for a very long time. But was I really strong as Liam thought I would be? Would I be able to push that green button and talk to her? What if asked about what happened? What if she demanded to know the reasons of my break up with Adrian? What would I say?

“It’s just a phone call, Selena. Give it a shot, answer it and if it felt wrong, then you can hang up. Deal?” Liam said, passing his hand through my hair repetitively and holding the phone in his other hand.

I sighed heavily and grabbed the phone from him. “Deal.”

“On the count of three. One, two, three.”