A Rainy Summer 24

~Chapter (24)~

Doubt thou the stars are fire,

Doubt the sun doth move,

Doubt truth to be a liar

but never doubt thy love.

William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act II, Scene II

Time had passed so quickly and it was already seven o’clock. I took a long relaxing shower in hopes of clearing my head from all the negative thoughts that seemed to crowd it. I felt horrible, because while Liam was trying to cheer me up and make me feel better, he had no idea that it was Adrian whom occupied my mind. I couldn’t help it though, I was worried about him.

 Where was he? Was he okay? Did Haley find him? I should probably call her and ask.

Quickly, I slipped into some shorts and put on a Foo Fighters t-shirt to get more comfortable, then I grabbed my phone and dialed Haley’s number. I sat on the edge of the bed, waiting for an answer.    

“Hello?” Haley’s comforting voice broke into the phone.

“Haley, um. . .it’s me,”

“Selena, thank goodness you’re okay, I was really worried after you passed out,” Haley blurted.

Immediately, a deep sigh escaped my lips. “I’m sorry I got you worried,” I muttered, running a hand through my hair.

“You have nothing to apologize for, it was not your fault!” Haley cried out.

“This is why I never tell anyone about my sickness. My problem gets upgraded to be their problem which is not suppose to happen,”

“Selena, I am your best friend –or was at least. Anyway, what I meant to say was that your problems are my problems, that’s what friends are for,” Haley said. She sounded friendly, caring and slightly upset for mentioning the status of our friendship, which we agreed not to talk about in the meantime.

I was still hurt from the way she treated me after I left Adrian, she blocked me out completely, and humiliated me in front everyone back in Julliard. I remember the looks on everyone’s face when she told them that I was only using Adrian to get more attention, that I was the one whom caused him to crash his car. I was betrayed by my own best friend.

Come to think of it now, I believe I deserved it all. I mean, who am I kidding? I brought it all to myself. I lied and I got punished for it.

“You still consider me as a . . friend, don’t you?” Haley asked pulling me out of my chain of thoughts. Her voice sounded a little shaky.

I sighed. “Of course, Haley. You are my friend,” I assured her.

“Thank you,” she muttered slowly, a sigh of relief escaping her lips.

An awful silent minute had passed, so I decided to pull it together and ask about Adrian.

“So, did you find him?” I inquired.

“Not yet. But, I think I know where to find him,” Haley replied.

Immediately, a rush of hope sprinted through my body. “Really?”

“Do you remember Alex Evans?”

I scratched my head slightly trying to revive my mind. Alex Evans . . . Evans. .

“Are you referring to the Irish guitarist whom we met in U2’s concert last year?” I questioned, feeling my eyebrows crease.

“Yeah, he is a friend of Adrian’s. I called him earlier and asked if he had spoken to Adrian during the last few days,” Haley explained.