Unkiss Me

I stood on the stage, looking down at the people of my world as they passed me by, none of them thinking for a moment that I was serious about what I was about to do. Our world was one of music, everything we ever did that had emotion to it had to be conveyed through song. And for the past three years, I had lost count of the songs I had sung.

We were not only unique for our music, but for the fact that we had soulmates. Each and every one of us have a person made just for us and a few years ago, I met mine. The only problem was that he didn't want me. We met in a coffee store at random. I could see the entire scene in front of me now as I stood here. I could see myself walking into the coffee store, stopping in my tracks when I saw him sitting in the corner with his laptop. He looked up, his warm brown eyes met mine and I could feel the electricity zing between us instantly. He got up, towering over the table and anyone near him. I immediately knew that I had found the person who would make me happy for however long I lived, I couldn't have been happier. I thought he felt the same way, only then he spoke, and my world crashed around me.

He told me he wasn't ready to settle down, that he didn't want me just yet and that we should both see other people until he was ready to come and find me. He walked away, leaving me to gasp for breath as devastation crashed around me and within me. I could still remember how hard it had become to breathe for me from that day on.

That was three years ago, everyone knew my story by now, though I never told them who he was. I didn't want anyone to hate him because I foolishly loved him already and I didn't think that I could stand it if anyone hurt him. I spent the next three years performing songs to ask him to come to his senses, to stop what he was doing to me, but he never listened.

I reached my breaking point last night, when I sang Say something by A great big world and his response was to grab the girl beside him and kiss her senseless. That was why I was here now, in the middle of town, in front of the grand council.

They weren't grand at all really, a bunch of elders sitting behind a huge mahogany table, watching me with bored expressions, waiting for me to get it over with.

I didn't speak to them when I made my way up, I knew that they already knew who I was, the media had never stopped following my story, and more than one agency wanted to get me to do a reality television show. I turned them all down, my life was pathetic enough.

The people in the square threw glances of mild interest at me, already knowing what I was about to attempt to do, but not caring to actually stick around and watch. I was grateful for that, the only people I wanted here were the grand council, no one else mattered.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, nodding once to indicate that they start the music.

If you respect me, don't protect me

You can tell me, I can handle it.

Stop pretending, cause we're going down,

My song choice caught the attention of the people who were walking casually. I could hear them all talking and whispering,

"Oh my goodness, no one has used that song in a hundred years,"

"I thought the lyrics were lost?"

If you let go then just let go it's disrespectful,

how you've handled this,

never ending kind of run around.

"What's happening?"

"She's rejecting her soulmate!"

I lied to my heart cause I thought you felt it,

You can't light a fire if the candle's melted,