Haunted

The freezing air clung to my skin as I stared up at the huge haunted mansion I was being dared to go into. The haunted mansion was famous in our town.

It was beautiful and had been standing here for longer than the town had. Rumor had it that a stately family once lived in the mansion, they were related to royalty. A mother, father and their two sons.

It was said that one of the sons went insane one night after being locked out of the mansion unknowingly. He ended up killing his parents and brother in cold blood, and now anyone who dared to enter the mansion on Halloween night would be doomed to live with him for eternity, never leaving the house ever again.

So, my friends, being the douchebags they are, dared me to go into the mansion tonight before we would head off to a Halloween party hosted by my horrible ex-boyfriend.

"Come on Katy cat! Go in already!" One of my friends yelled at me from the car where they were all waiting, nice and toasty.

I groaned and turned back to the mansion, wrapping my arms around my flimsy Dacula's bride costume, I made my way up the rickety stairs of the scary house.

The floor boards squeaked beneath my feet as I walked, adding to the scary atmosphere of the night. The door creaked open as I slowly pushed it wider, expecting to see some kind of monster jump out at me and eat me alive.

I kept walking into the darkness of the house, the moon shone through the broken windows, slightly illuminating my surroundings.

My footsteps were completely silent since I was walking on a thick blanket of dust. There were cobwebs everywhere, the heavy smell of dust and ageing furniture hung in the room as I made my way deeper into the belly of the mansion.

I took a deep breath, instantly regretting it as I started coughing from inhaling such stale air. Something moved from behind me and I swung around but was met by nothing other than the quiet, dusty sight I had been met with when I walked in.

I decided that this whole haunted mansion was nothing but a waste of my time, so I started moving back towards the door. Suddenly, something cold gripped onto my wrist, holding tight. I screamed as loudly as I could and kicked up as hard as I could, trying to get the monster to let go of me.

"Oof, ow! Hey!.Stop that!"

Wait...monsters don't speak?

I stopped my assault long enough to see that the hand that was latched onto me was none other than my idiot of a brother's, clearly trying to scare the hell out of me.

I smacked him one more time for good measure,

"You ass!" I yelled at Chase as he laughed, still holding onto my wrist,

"That was classic!"

I scowled at him as he kept laughing, clutching onto his stomach,

"Oh, wow, I wish I got a picture of that, it would have gone viral so fast!"

I ignored my idiot brother, hoping my heavy makeup was hiding my heavy blush at being so embarrassed.

"Let's just go, please?" I insisted, just wanting to forget about this whole stupid ordeal.

Chase kept laughing but led the way to the door. He didn't even let me walk out first, so much for chivalry.

The moment Chase had stepped out the door, I felt someone grabbing my wrist again. I sighed heavily, already expecting to see one of Chase's idiot friends who probably wanted to scare me again. I turned around and stopped dead in my tracks at the blood red eyes before me. The door swung shut behind me and my screams drowned out my brother's voice desperately calling my name. He banged on the door, trying to ram it open as I stared at the two red eyes that seemed to bore into my soul, rooting me on the spot.

"You will never leave this place," A whisper echoed through the mansion. I screamed as I felt something pierce into my neck and everything went black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The story goes that the boy would not stop hammering against the door in hopes of getting to his sister. Her screams filled the night, causing her friends to jump out of their cars and rush to the door to try and help her. Their collective strength helped to burst through the door, but they were met with emptiness. The girl was gone, never to be seen or heard from again.