The Alpha Nerd's Girl

"McKenna Bradley"

"Here!" I yelled back to Mrs. Latham as she checked the roll call list. Gosh, I somehow made it all the way to my final year without killing everyone around me, which is why I considered the fact that they gave us seniors the chance to go on this trip to a holiday resort as well deserved. Everyone was standing around the busses waiting for everyone to say they were present so we could get going already. Of course the school had to find some way of torturing us since this was their life's mission, so we were all standing in the pouring rain, on a freezing winter's day. The teachers seemed to be deliberately taking their sweet time calling out the names of every student in our huge class, gah!

"McKenna," my best friend Carlie bumped her shoulder into mine and I squinted through the pouring rain in an effort to see her, everything was hazy through my wet glasses and I could only make out her bright blue hair.

"'Sup?" I asked her, trying to wipe my glasses, the attempt was futile because the rain kept pouring and, of course, I had to forget my umbrella. Life was fantastic, brilliant, bloody sensational.

"Did you bring it?" She asked in a softer voice, afraid someone might hear us,

"Did I bring what?" I asked, feigning confusion just because I was in the mood to mess with her today,

"Don't you mess with me right now, woman!" The horror in her voice had me laughing out loud and shook her shoulder in a comforting manner,

"Calm down, I brought your Nutella you loon,"

She breathed a sigh of relief. See, my poor best friend had to follow all the dieting trends of her super healthy family and was thus denied any of the chocolatey hazelnut goodness she was so addicted to, and as the designated friend, I was responsible for smuggling some on this trip so she could dig in first thing when we made it onto the bus.

"Alec Shaw" I stiffened the moment Mrs. Latham called out the name of the spawn of satan I so hated.

Ugh, Alec Shaw, the name alone made me want to rip my ears off so I would never have to hear it again.

He called out a 'here' in response in that strong voice of his, ugh that boy grinds my gears.

Alec Shaw was NOT your typical nerdy math geek. Oh no, he had to be this mega super nerd that evolved from the rest of us NORMAL nerds. He was super intelligent, a little on the scrawny side, but more lean than gangly, his eyes were the brightest blue I had ever seen and his dark black hair kept falling into his face since he was as drenched as the majority of the senior class. The only difference between Alec and the rest of the nerds was that he was an asshole, he stood up to the jocks and won many times. As president of the science club you would think he would have been pushed into at least one locker, but NO, he had to be all alpha nerd and beat down the bullies with his wit and lightning fast Kung Fu methods.

I hated Alec because he had the audacity to call me a judgmental know-it-all back in tenth grade, and okay fine, maybe he wasn't completely wrong, but that doesn't mean he gets to say it to my face. I don't tell him he's a superficial, wannabe jock asshole though I would if the opportunity ever presented itself.

Mrs. Latham finally called out the last name and we were allowed to start moving towards the busses. I pulled Carlie back by her jacket when she moved towards the bus closest to Alec,

"Oh, no you don't. We are going in the opposite direction young lady," I reprimanded her, already knowing her little tricks.

"Oh, come on, it's high time you two talked this through,"

I snorted and pulled her with me to the other bus,

"I will keep your Nutella hostage, don't test me,"