Sisterhood

The last thing I was expecting myself to be doing was to be sitting on the edge of a cliff looking out at the city skyline at midnight... on a Thursday... in the freezing cold. I was supposed to be hanging out with my best friend tonight, helping each other with assignments and giving feedback while we munched on Chinese food in our dorm room.

Clearly that's not how the night went down.

"Want some company?" I nearly screamed and almost tipped over the side of the cliff when I heard the familiar voice speak from behind me.

I clutched my chest and glared over at my sister who seemed to find my near death experience pretty hilarious.

She kept laughing as she sat down beside me, handing me a cup of hot cocoa to fight off the cold air of the winter night. She took a deep calming breath and we turned to look at the city lights blinking before us.

"Wanna talk about it?" Livy, my sister asked, keeping her eyes on the city.

I sighed heavily, knowing that I needed to talk about it to someone, at some point.

"I don't know, man. Maybe I'm blowing this whole thing out of proportion and it doesn't matter as much as I'm making it matter,"

"Did your feelings get hurt through all this?" She asked and I just nodded, not wanting to voice my own emotional weakness.

"Then it matters, kiddo because it matters to you and that makes all the difference,"

She had a point there.

"It's been coming for some time now, actually. I even brought it up and made sure to make it clear that I felt like I was being put second, and for a little while it was better, and now I'm being blown off for someone better than me,"

Livy snorted at that,

"Oh, please. You're amazing and it sucks for anyone who can't see that."

"What am I supposed to do, Liv? I don't want to lose my best friend,"

Livy put an arm across my shoulder and gave me an awkward side hug,

"You won't ever lose me, kid,"

I laughed and rolled my eyes, punching her arm,

"But seriously," she continued, "that girl doesn't deserve to call herself your best friend when she's clearly not acting like one. It looks to me like she thinks she's found a greener meadow and it won't be long until she notices that it's only greener because it's covered in manure...I mean that it's full of sh*t if I wasn't making that clear, just saying,"

"I got it, thanks. It sounds like you're saying a friendship is like a marriage or something,"

She took another sip before answering me,

"That's exactly what I'm saying, the only difference is that friendship break ups hurt us a lot more and for a lot longer than a normal relationship with a guy,"

"Ain't that the truth," I murmured under my breath in agreement.

"You need to focus on yourself and forget about her and her friendship two-timing ways. The moment she comes crawling back, I want you to do to her what I did to that last ex of yours,"

"Punch her in the face and knee her in the privates?"

She chuckled and nodded,

"Yes, and then kick her to the curb, nobody needs that kind of drama these days. If they aren't about you from the start, they won't be around you in the end. Let go of that baggage, Bailey, no-one is worth it,"

I smiled and nodded, feeling so much better about being tossed aside by my own so-called best friend. In all honesty, I thought of her as a sister, but not anymore. I've had a best friend from the moment I was born, and she was always my sister.