Roses and Proposals

There she was, standing by her locker, awkwardly trying to keep her project from falling. My heart was beating a mile a minute at the sight of her. I was finding it hard to catch a breath.

She wasn't what I was expecting, at all. Her hair was crazy thick, the hairband she used just barely keeping the thick tresses together, her clothes were baggy and I assumed she was trying to hide her body from the world, she was overweight and extremely unfit, but damn, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. I was so glad she wasn't a stick figure beauty queen.

She was real, so freaking real and she was MINE.

"Alpha," I inclined my head to the side toward my best friend and second in command, "we have the perimeter surrounded,"

I smiled and clasped him on the back,

"Thanks Jake,"

He nodded and smiled over at my Emily, he adored her. I honestly couldn't see how you couldn't. She was just...she was everything.

I headed over to her casually, leaning against the wall and watching her struggling to keep up her bag, and balance her huge project all while fishing around in her locker.

Every part of me was screaming out to reach forward and help her, but I still remember her lecture on feminism the last time I tried that, so I remained in my position.

Besides, the way she had to lean forward to get to her locker and balance everything was giving me an excellent view of her backside, HOT DAMN.

"Is there a reason you're staring at my ass, Link?" I heard her voice come out from the depths of her locker and smiled,

"Just enjoying the view," I responded, crossing my arms over my chest and continuing to enjoy the show,

I heard her huff and mumble something about over confident, arrogant dog boys.

"I take offence to that, I'm a man,"

She snorted and pulled away from her locker having finally found the book she was looking for,

"It's good to dream,"

I smiled at her and gestured towards her bag and projects,

"May I help you? Or are you going to chew me out again?"

She rolled her eyes and heaved her bag towards me, she held her science project in both hands and jerked her head forward so I would follow,

"Any luck with that rogue thing?" She asked as I followed her towards her class,

"Nope, so I'll be staying over again tonight,"

I didn't bother to tell her that I had long ago sorted out my issues with the rogues. I really just wanted to stay as close to her as I possibly could,

"It's been weeks, I'm surprised you still have any pack members left if they're so dangerous,"

I smiled and shook my head, this girl....

The moment we turned the corner, Emily stopped in her tracks and stared down at the different coloured rose petals littered down the hallway. I grew nervous, she didn't look like she liked them. I know for a fact she loves roses and what their colours represent. This just HAD to work.

"I wonder who the lucky girl is," She said absentmindedly, not thinking for one second that these roses were for her and that I was the lucky one here,

Jake had been discreetly following us and he handed me the first rose. I stepped forward and turned my body to face her, holding up the yellow rose,

"Yellow is for friendship. We started out as nothing more than friends, and I am lucky to have someone like you as my best friend, Emily,"

Jake came up from behind Emily and smiled, taking her project from her. She was blushing and staring at the rose in my hand.

I grabbed her hand and I walked backwards, pulling her with me,

I had asked some pack members to hand me the roses as I went so I wouldn't have to take my eyes off her and risk her running away from me.

A pack member handed me a white rose which I held up along with the yellow one,

"White, for a new beginning. That's what you offered me when I needed it most. I was never kind to you, but somewhere in that heart of yours you found it in you to give me a chance at redeeming myself in your eyes."

She held onto my hand tighter, reaching out and taking the two roses from me as I continued to lead her backwards,

A pink rose was handed to me next,

"Pink for gratitude and appreciation. You saved me, Em. You showed me that there is more to life than what I saw in my own. I am so grateful that you became the light in my darkness,"

Finally I pulled her towards the end of the hallway where all of my pack members were standing, holding red roses and beaming at my beautiful mate,

Emily's eyes grew wide and she tried to run in the other direction, but was immediately blocked by some of the pack. The same thing happened everywhere she tried to run, and I smiled at the thought that the perimeter was indeed secure. She can't run from me now.

I grabbed the final red rose and slowly inched closer to her,

"Red for love. I love you as my best friend, as my new beginning, as my light in the darkness, and especially as my mate." I got down on one knee and held up the rose to her that had a diamond ring on the inside that I really, really hoped she would like. She gasped as she saw the ring delicately lying in the petals of the rose,

"Emily Whitney McKintosh, I love you with every part of me, you complete me and you make me happier than I ever thought I could be. Will you marry me?"

Tears welled up in her eyes as I waited nervously for her answer, she had to say yes, she just had to. She gingerly reached forward and took the ring into her soft hands, placing it onto her ring finger she smiled and then wacked me across the head with the roses.

I grabbed the side of my head and whined in protest,

"What was that for?!"

"That was for getting the pack to barricade me in when you know I hate attention!"

Then she surprised me by dropping onto her knees so that we were at eye level,

"And this is for going through all of this for me," She grabbed my shirt and kissed me deeply, making my heart hammer in my chest like only she could, I nearly whimpered when she suddenly pulled away, "My answer is yes by the way," She whispered against my lips and my smile felt like it could split my face. I grabbed her and kissed her firmly, knowing that I would never let go.