Chapter 1

Kendra

I woke up and there was chaos in my house.

"What do you mean?" I heard my brother Rowland growled. The tone of his voice scared me. My brother was an intimidating dude and easily angered, but this seemed like something more. This was serious. Then again being the soon-to-be Beta of our pack and built tall, muscular and with a wide frame, he was never really not serious. He definitely didn't take shit from no one and he didn't seem too happy right now.

I felt the knots in my long deep brown, loose curly hair. I didn't care, though. I stumbled out of my bed half awake in my short shorts and a tight tank top that highlighted my long legs and curves very nicely. I was very in shape. I had to be . . . I am a werewolf. So is my brother, along with the rest of our pack which half of was in Cali across the country from North Carolina where we were.

My Father, Dean, was Beta of the pack. His best friend, Anthony, was Alpha. Talk about intimidating. Those two together were scary as hell they were both 6 foot 5 inches of pure badass. I was my Daddy's little princess, though. I never saw the scary part of him. Any guy who even considered mating me did, though. That part actually sucked.

When I got downstairs to the gathering room of our large house my brother was pacing in the living room with his phone crashed to his ear and he looked about two seconds away from crushing the thing in his hands. He was only in jeans and looked really tense.

My heart instantly dropped to my stomach. Something was up and it couldn't be good. I became as tense as Rowland. I couldn't move from where I stood.

"Ro, what's going on?" Alex came rushing down fully dressed with five others from our pack on his tale they moved around me carefully and hurried into the living room.

Alex was a few inches shorter than my brother with close to the same amount of muscle. He was devilishly attractive with slightly long, spiked, pitch black hair and nearly black eyes.

Zeke stood. Zeke was equally handsome. He was closer to my brother's height – maybe even a little taller – but he was leaner. His hair was more brown than black and his eyes were green. Zeke and Alex were my brother's right-hand men. "Something has gone wrong. Anthony and Dean went out to raid a Vampire's nest on their own. It was a trap . . ."

There was a whooshing sound in my ears now. No, don't say it!

"They didn't make it out?" Alex growled.

"No," Zeke looked at the ground.

"Oh my God," with those words all of my breath left my lungs and I fell to the kitchen floor.

"Kendra," Alex picked me up holding me to his chest.

"You can't . . . no, you have to be making a mistake somehow . . . no!" Ro growled into the phone, "Damn it!" He growled snapping the phone shut. When he looked up and saw me his face softened.

I had no idea what I looked like, but it couldn't be good. Tears were running freely from my eyes and I felt the blood leave my face. I must have been two shades paler than normal.

He rushed up to me and took me in his arms hugging me tightly to his chest, "It'll be okay, Kendra. I promise. I won't let anything happen to you," He cradled me into his chest.

At this point, I was finally able to move. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head into his chest trying to make it go away.

"No, Rowland, it can't be true," I mumbled into his chest.

"Shush, Kendra," He held me tighter.

I turned my head up to face him, "I want to see him again," I pleaded. I had to see him. It was the only way I would be able to accept this. I had to see my father again.