28: Interrogation

Half an hour left.

I am struggling to keep my sanity now. I'm tired of all the tears and hurt. I want to feel some other emotion - I don't mind which one - but I simply cannot. I can't help to think of Zeke feeling so scared and vulnerable. Zeke was always the strong and determined one, the one who kept me together. Now that he's away I am falling apart.

I am still at my spot beside the window. People have started to wake up. There are cars on the streets and the sky has turned into a light blue colour.

I guess no matter how hard I try, I just can't stop time.

***

"How could you?!" I screamed at the ageing woman that was in front of me.

Wrinkles formed clearly on her brow as she frowned at me. "I did what was best for you. I did what was right."

I could hear the words, but they just didn't make any sense to me. My own mother. I stood in the kitchen of her house and stared at my mum in disbelief. Why would she deliberately sabotage a relationship that her daughter was finally happy in?

"You don't know what's best for me anymore." I hissed, tears forming in my eyes.

"I don't even know you anymore. The Abby I raised would've handed in a serial killer as soon as she found out."

"You never knew me in the first place."

Suddenly, Emily rushed through the doorway and stood behind me defensively.

"C'mon Abby, let's go," she said quietly in my ear.

"Not yet," I replied, the anger in my voice clearly making itself known. "How did you even know about Zeke? It was a pretty well kept secret."

"Why don't you ask Emily?"

I turned around to face my sister in shock. The thought of her betraying me was just unbearable.

"I'll explain once we leave this house." Emily told me, obviously seeing the expression on my face. "I can't stand to be anywhere near her anymore."

Emily took my hand and lead me out of the house and into her car. She was given it as a present for her eighteenth birthday and, from what I heard, was in love with it.

I didn't know where Emily was taking me, but I didn't really care. Tears spilled down my cheeks. I had finally gotten Zeke back and all of a sudden he was snatched right out of my hand again. The only hope I had left was that he would be found innocent at his trail - but even I knew that was highly unlikely.

I heard the door slam and realised that the car had stopped. I looked around me, Emily had brought me to the park.

I got out of the car and followed Emily to a bench looking over the playing fields. The air was silent and undisturbed, calming me instantly.

"I didn't tell her," Emily told me.

I knew at once what she was talking about. "How did she find out?"

"She overheard me talking on the phone to you,"

I thought back to the last time I had a phone call with Emily. It was the night after we revealed the drink spiker and she had called to reassure me.

"It's okay, I don't blame yo,." I didn't look at her though, I kept my gaze straight ahead. I was afraid I'd break down in tears if I even so much caught a glimpse of Emily.

"I'm sure Zeke will be fine," she said. "He might be found innocent. After all, he's changed."

"If Hitler stood in front of the judge and said, 'I know I killed all those people but I've changed now, I promise.' Would he get off the hook?"