19: Moving House

Love. What do you think when you hear that word? Heartbreak, marriage or sappy romance movies? I guess everyone has a different opinion of what love is. To me, love is when you look at that special person and the world around you disappears. It's an amazing thing, although if it goes wrong, you will know all about it. It's dangerous, like a ticking time bomb, but you play with it anyway.

***

Today was the day I finally moved in to my new apartment. I was so excited and had invited up all my closest friends to help me decorate it.

OK, well, I invited all my friends, considering I only have four.

I got up early in the morning and drove to my new apartment. I stood outside and took in all the features of the apartment block. It had finely cut grass with flowers on the lawn and flower pots beside the entrance door.

The interior of the apartment was very modern. As soon as you walk through the door you are standing in the lobby. It has a sitting area with a a few armchairs and a coffee table. I ignored this and walked straight to the elevator. When it reached the third floor, which was mine, I got out and stood in front of the door that read 302. I took a deep breath, put the key in the lock and pushed it open.

The door flung open revealing a very empty apartment. There was the furniture I had ordered but it was covered in white sheets and messily arranged. I checked my watch, the guys wouldn't be coming for another hour so I sat down on the wooden floor and looked around me.

I was distracted by Emily, once again. I knew she knew about Kirsty, I'm not stupid. 'How', you ask? When I mentioned my friend had died she didn't even have a reaction. It's not really something that comes up in normal conversation. What I want to know though, is how Emily knows.

There was a knock on the door. I opened it to find Poddy with a stupid grin on his freckly face.

"Abby!" he cried in his thick Irish accent as he picked me up and spun me round.

"Oh, hi Poddy. No Hannah?" I asked once he had put me down.

"She was having make-up troubles or something. I'm sure she'll be here soon."

I was about to tell Poddy to come in but he had already let himself in. He looked like he was about to lie on the sofa but realised that there was a sheet over it. The doorbell rang again and I left Poddy to work out his predicament as I answered it.

"Hey Zeke!" I greeted him when I answered the door. I kissed him and pulled him into the apartment.

Soon everyone was here. It was a little awkward with Zeke and Steve being in the same room but I tried to ignore it as much as possible. Hannah turned the radio up full blast and we got to work painting and re-arranging the whole flat.

Poddy and Hannah were in charge of the living room and kitchen. Steve was in charge of the bathroom and Zeke and I got the two bedrooms. It was tiring work, but I knew it would be worth it in the end.

"Hey, Zeke?" I said as we were painting my bedroom a light shade of pink.

"Mmhm?"

It was funny to watch Zeke paint as he stuck out his tongue due to concentrating so hard.

"You have paint on your nose."

"What?!" As Zeke was panicking and touching his nose I got my paintbrush and dabbed his cheek with it. Zeke's right cheek was now baby pink.

Zeke narrowed his eyes when he realised I had tricked him. Then he lifted his paintbrush, I knew exactly what he was planning on doing. I squealed and ran across the room. Although Zeke, being much faster than me, caught up with me and brought me to the ground.

He sat on top of me, pinning me to the floor. I was about to scream but he plastered my face in pink paint before I could even get the chance to. Suddenly, Poddy flung open the door and yelled, "Freeze!"

We both looked up at Poddy in unison. For some reason, he had his two thumbs and two index fingers placed together, in a gun shape. I think he's trying to be a police officer.

I decided to play along, just to annoy Zeke. "Poddy, thank God you're here!"

Poddy walked over and pushed a very confused Zeke off me and said, "It looks like sexual harassment to me." Then he held out his hand to help me up.

I thanked Poddy when I was standing up again to which he replied, "It's OK ma'am, I'm no Superman." And left the room.

Zeke was standing in the middle of the room, paint splattered over his clothes and face, looking completely gobsmacked.

"What?" I teased, "Have you never experienced something like that before?"

Then I walked over and started painting again.

~*~

"Looks good, doesn't it?" Steve stated as we were lying in the middle of the living floor. The flat was finally finished and we were relaxing while admiring our work.

"Yeah," I breathed, "it looks amazing!"

That was followed by the whole room nodding in agreement. The living room was a pale green colour. The sofas and other furniture was dark brown wood with green decorations such as cushions and empty picture frames. It was inspired by Hannah's gorgeous flat.

"You need some pictures for your frames, but." Hannah pointed out.

"Well, let's take one now," I replied.

I got out my digital camera and we huddled into a little group on the floor. When I looked at the picture on the digital screen after I took it I laughed. All of us were covered in paint of different colours. I was smiling, and Zeke had his arm around me. Poddy was fixing his hair and Hannah was pouting. Steve just looked, well, normal.

"This is deffenietly a keeper," I said as the rest of them were trying to catch a glimpse of the picture.

I walked into the kitchen, followed by Steve, to make everyone a cup of tea. When Steve and I were alone Steve started conversation.

"I told you so," he said childishly.

I looked down at my feet. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Yes, you do. You and Zeke, you're both perfect for each other."

I blushed, "I suppose,"

I started to pour out the hot water from the kettle into the four cups laid out in front of me. As I was doing this, Steve was getting out all the biscuits. My kitchen's colour scheme was pretty plain, just black and red. It had a very modern feel and I loved it. I thought it would be quite dark, but the white walls just completed the whole look.

I brought the tea out to the three in the living room who were trying to watch T.V and not succeeding.

"Nice try guys," I said as I set the cups on the wooden coffee table, "the cable guy won't be here until Friday."

A chorus of "Aw"s filled the air, but they soon stopped when they took a drink of their tea.

 "So, Poddy, what was up with you earlier? When you walked in on Zeke and I?" I asked Poddy.

"I'm training to be a policeman," he replied.

Good God.