5: Memories

I would hate to loose my memory, there are so many things stored away that I can't forget. Although, I want to forget tomorrow, I don't want to remember what I'm counting down to or why I'm sitting in my room shivering with fear, tears rolling down my cheeks. I suppose, without memory the best parts in our lives would simply be moments, to be experienced then forgotten.

***

Zeke directed me to his house, or where he remembered it to be. Thankfully, I got my car collected from the woods yesterday, which was a serious highlight. I was driving along, with Zeke in the passenger seat and blasting the radio. Zeke made the drive very companionable and I could tell he was as excited about finding his house as I was.

He pointed me down a long deserted road. When we reached the bottom there was a small beach, with clear blue water and golden sand. I thought maybe Zeke got a bit mixed up and sent us the wrong way but as soon as I was about to open my mouth I saw a massive mansion.

"You live here?" I exclaimed as we turned into the drive way.

"Yeah, I suppose. My job pays well." He replied.

This confused me, he was a mechanic. Mechanics have poor pay. As I thought about it a bit more, I realised that maybe he owned a garage or something. I dismissed the thought and continued driving.

We reached the top of the driveway, I unbuckled my seat-belt and got out of the car, shutting the door behind me. Zeke was bouncing like a little puppy dog before getting its meal. He couldn't contain his excitement. He raced towards the door, reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. After choosing the right one, he placed it in the locked and successfully opened the door.

Zeke didn't waste any time, as soon as he was through the door he bolted around every room in the house, taking in all the sights and smells, a grin plastered on his face. I could tell he was loving every minute of it. Soon he made his way up to his bedroom calling me to follow him. I wasn't moving fast enough so he raced towards me, grabbed my hand and dragged me up. I knew I should be happy for him but all I could think about was the fact that Zeke Riley was holding my hand.

His room was surprisingly very clean and tidy, not one thing out of place. It had white walls with one blue feature wall behind his bed. His bed was a large double with blue bedsheets on it. His room was quite empty, with only a few pieces of furniture such as his bed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, with a mirror above it, two bed-side tables at either side of his bed and a blue chair in the  far corner of the room. Everything was colour coded accordingly. I was suprised at how neat his whole house was, with him being a mechanic and all.

When he had finished looking around his house he went in to the kitchen. I thought what this was like for him, it was like he just bought a new house as he can't remember living in any of it.

I watched him as he searched frantically for the utensils needed to make a cup of coffee. Once he found them all he stopped and froze.

"I forget how to make coffee." He announced.

I tried hard to stifle my giggles, as I knew he must be going through hell but it sounded funny the way he said it. I told him I would take over and make us two coffees.

I handed him his hot cup, warning him of the temperature, and sat down to drink my own. It tasted really good, especially after such a long day. I looked over at Zeke who was staring into space, thinking. Remembering. I searched his eyes for clues which would give away his thoughts. I could see fear and worry, but with a hint of contentment. He saw me staring and returned the gaze, giving me a quick smile, his eyes filling with happiness and removing all the other emotions. I decided to break the awkward silence.

"So, are you going to live here now?" I asked casually.

"Yes, although I am going to miss you and Emily and your constant bickering." He replied, still smiling at me.

I blushed slightly, hanging my head so he wouldn't notice. If only he knew how I felt about him. I tried to fight back those kind of thoughts and feelings but it wasn't worth it, they just kept coming back even stronger than before.

"I'm sure we're going to miss you too." I said, as indifferently as possible.

"Don't worry, this isn't goodbye."

"Huh?" What did he mean 'this isn't goodbye'?

"We'll still see each other. Abby, you're the first thing I saw since the amnesia, my first memory. I can't say goodbye to that."

I smiled brightly, I didn't want to say goodbye either. Those words filled me with so much happiness I can't even begin to explain.

"What's your phone number?" I said. Once again, I said something stupid. Of course he couldn't remember his phone number! I have a tendency to say stuff then have my common sense run after the words going, "Don't say that!".

He pulled out his phone from his pocket, confusion filling his face as he tried to figure out how to work it. I took it off him, typing in my phone number then giving it back to him with a smile. He was like a little boy, going through different experiences every day which were completely new to him.

Sometimes I thought he should be thankful, at least he didn't have short-term memory loss. The only advantage I can think that gives is finding out your Christmas or birthday presents weeks before, then opening them again on the day thinking about how much of a surprise it is. Then I remembered he had lost all his childhood memories, things I couldn't even think to imagine what it would be like forgetting. First day at school, first crush, first kiss, best friends, test results, favourite teachers and so much more. I wondered if he remembered any of his family.

"Do you remember any member of your family?" I said.

His eyes filled with hurt and fear, I suddenly regretted what I had said. "Yes." He sighed. "I only have a dad, nothing else."

I could tell by the tone of his voice that he didn't want me to inquire any further. We went back to the silence and I sat there awkwardly staring into my now empty cup of coffee. Zeke was the first to break the awkwardness.

"Do you feel like going for a walk?" he asked.

"Where should we go?"

"The beach across the road?" he suggested.

Could we get a more perfect location? Scenes from romantic movies that I've seen where they strolled hand-in-hand along the beach flooded into my mind, but I quickly shook them away. I jumped up, with a little more enthusiasm than intended, and followed Zeke out the door.

There was a light breeze blowing through the air while we were on the beach. We walked along at a leisurely pace making small talk along the way. Zeke randomly decided that it would be fun for him to chase me and only gave me a five second head-start.

I sprinted as fast as I could down the beach, feeling the cool sand against my bare feet, carrying both shoes in one of my hands. I thought I was far enough ahead but then Zeke caught up behind me and rugby tackled me to the ground.

"Ow. You are really heavy." I complained as he lay on top of me, pinning me down.

"Sorry," He replied, standing up off me and dusting the sand off his trousers. "I believe I won that one though."

I scoffed, standing up and brushing the sand off my clothes.

"It's not my fault I'm so freaking amazing." he said boastfully.

I gave him a friendly shove, scolding him for his cockiness. Suddenly he grabbed my hand and made me run down the beach with him. That's twice in one day Zeke has held my hand, I'm surprised I didn't faint.

I only just got through the door of Zeke's house when Emily rang me. She was wondering when I was coming home. I decided that maybe it was best that I went back home now anyway. I bid Zeke farewell and started walking towards the door, as I reached for the handle Zeke called me.

"Abby?"

I turned around to face him, surprised by how close he was to me. He held out his arms and pulled me into a hug. As I was hugging him he whispered into my ear, "I'm so glad we're friends."

Yes, friends. That's all we ever would be.